Spring Ramp and Potato Soup

Started by Bear1968, May 05, 2014, 02:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear1968

I was telling my father that I found a spot for him to pick some Ramps, he does not get around very well and I found him a HUGE patch that he can almost dig from his truck :D
He asked me if I can make him a soup with them so I figured why not.
I wrote down everything I did so that he could make it but never once thought to take any pics of the process and final result. This is NOT a heart healthy soup but it was GREAT! After all, how can you go wrong with any recipe that starts out with 10 Slices of bacon?

Ingredients
About ten pieces of Bacon - Fried, drained then chopped
1/3 cup of Ramps sliced into 1/4" rings - Only the White part
Leaves from about 5 or 6 Ramps - chopped * Spring Time ONLY as they are very tender
1 medium Onion Chopped
6 Chicken Bullion Cubes
6 Cups of water
6 Potatoes - pealed and cut into 1" cubes
2 cups Heavy Cream
1/3 Cup of butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
Boil 6 cups of water with 6 Chicken Bullion Cubes. Set aside when cubes are dissolved.
Fry or Nuke Bacon and set on paper towels to dry and firm up. When cool chop and set aside.
In Soup pot melt butter over medium heat then add Ramps and Onion. Allow to soften but DO NOT BROWN!
Add the 6 cups of Bullion that you made, Bacon and Potatoes. Bring a boil then reduce to a simmer.
Salt and pepper to taste.
When potatoes are done add Cream and chopped Ramp tops. When soup is just about to simmer remove from heat and serve.
UBC Local 268

Smoker John

This sounds really good, thanks for sharing.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Saber 4

pensrock

would go well with what I just made..... Smoker Cooper cheese with bacon and wild leeks. (or ramps like some call them). Mmmmm good.  :)