• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Auber Dual Probe PID Question

Started by Panthur, May 07, 2014, 01:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panthur

Hey guys, anyone using the WSD-1203CHP dual probe PID with the dual 500 watt element mod on New OBS ( BS611 ) ? The current dual probe on Auber website is the 1204 , which replaces the 1203.
I have a new 1203 I have finally taken out of box ( about a year after purchasing ).... but it has been replaced with the 1204 model which is good for 1450 watts.
Near as I can tell the 1203 should be good for 1330 - 1400 watts but Auber sales guy keeps saying its good for 500 watts but won't commit to saying it will handle the 2 elements either way. Thanks in advance for any replies. I also read the 1203 is rated for 12 amps and the 1204 is rated for 13 amps. I think I should be fine, you figure ?

Panthur

I guess if anyone could look at the bottom of their dual probe and see if its a 1203 or a 1204 if they are running the dual 500 watt element mod. I would feel more confident if there are some 1203's out there working just fine. ( not sure when they went to the 1204 but I am sure it wasn't any more than a year ago or so ).   ??? Thanks.

GusRobin

I know a number of folks that use the 1203 with dual elements with no problem. I had used it but had to send it for repair twice. Not sure if I just had a bad unit or if it couldn't handle the load. At that time (a few years ago) Auber had a problem with a certain lot of PIDs. I made a deal on the last time I had to return and got the larger unit. Haven't had the problem since. So I don't know if replacing the bad unit or going to the higher rated unit solved the issue. I guess this response isn't much help, but that is my experience.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Panthur

Thanks. And can you tell me off hand ...if you want the Auber pid to NOT control the smoke generator....how to exactly hook it up please ? I have seen 2 different ways of connecting the components together and am trying to figure out the correct method.

GusRobin

hook the smoke generator directly to the outlet
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Panthur

Yep sounds good. And I assume the Auber PID has 1 cord to the OBS cabinet ( in addition to it plugging into ac power as well ) but NO cord from PID to the SG then, correct ?

tailfeathers

Correct. SG plugs in to the wall outlet, pid plugs into the wall outlet, cabinet plugs into the back of the pid.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tskeeter

Panthur, I've been using a dual probe plug and play for a couple of years, so I assume that it's a 1203.  Haven't had any problems with it on my dual element six rack.  Only using the PID to control the heating elements.  The smoker generator is plugged directly into an outlet.

Panthur

Thanks guys. Finally clarification on the hook up part. I am certain on Auber website it shows a cable from PID to SG even in the part where PID does NOT control SG. So PID and SG plug into power source and one cord from PID to tower. ( NO cable from PID to SG )  Correct ?   ???   I have a new OBS ( not the digital model ).

GusRobin

The difference is:
Control SG with PID: Power goes into PID and out to Cabinet and out to SG.

No Control of SG with PID: Power goes into SG and out to PID; then from PID to cabinet.

Panthur

Thanks Gus. But with method #2, ( where pid does not control SG ), the pid controller still plugs into ac power AS WELL as the SG plugging into ac power ?

GusRobin

No. The SG plugs into the AC outlet. The PID plugs into the SG. The cabinet plugs into the PID.

Panthur

Thank you. So like this pic then ? It doesn't even show an AC power cord on the controller. It just hangs there and does not plug into an outlet then ?

Or like this 2nd pic ?

GusRobin

Quote from: Panthur on May 09, 2014, 05:46:10 AM
Thank you. So like this pic then ? It doesn't even show an AC power cord on the controller. It just hangs there and does not plug into an outlet then ?
Not sure what you mean. First pic. left to right: You have the ac power cord from outlet to the SG. You have the a power cord (red) from the SG to the PID Controller. Power cord from PID to cabinet (teal). Two sensor cords from PID (thin black lines).

So which cord are you referring to that just hangs there?

tailfeathers

From looking at the diagrams and written instructions it would appear to me as though you can hook it up either way so long as you do not plan to control the SG with the pid.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!