Another batch of jerky

Started by RAF128, May 12, 2014, 06:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

The other day I decided I needed to make another batch of jerky.    Decided to make a recipe I haven't done in years.   I don't know why I haven't made it 'cause it's great.   Guess I opted for the simpler way by buying a premade kit.    Anyway this is the recipe

3lbs beef (substitute wild meat)
5 ts salt
5 ts ground ginger
1 1/2 ts black pepper
5 tbs brown sugar
1 ts cayenne pepper
6 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
1 1/2 cups of soya salt

Crush garlic cloves before putting in the marinade.   Mix all ingrediants in a blender.  Cut meat into 1/4 inch strips.  Place in marinade and let stand in brine for 10 - 16 hours.   The recipe says you can finish the jerky in the oven at 140, in a dehydrator or smoker.   Of course mine will be going in the smoker.   

I'm using venison and am doing a double recipe.   The meat is in the marinade and will be going into the smoker in a few hours.   

RAF128

The jerky is done.  Made one change as it was going. After3 hours of smoke the meat wasn't drying much.  Went to plan B.  got the dehydrator out and in 2 hours it was done.  It's got a nice tang to it.

tailfeathers

Sounds pretty good, I may have to give it a try. I have a couple questions though. First, I assume the 1.5 cups of soya salt is soy sauce? Second, I don't see any kind of cure in the ingredient list. Do you add any cure to this, or do you keep it refrigerated? I like to always use cure in my jerky in the interest of food safety.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

RAF128

Quote from: tailfeathers on May 13, 2014, 02:56:08 PM
Sounds pretty good, I may have to give it a try. I have a couple questions though. First, I assume the 1.5 cups of soya salt is soy sauce? Second, I don't see any kind of cure in the ingredient list. Do you add any cure to this, or do you keep it refrigerated? I like to always use cure in my jerky in the interest of food safety.
You're right.   IT is 1 1/2 cups of soya sauce.   
No added cure.   With all the salt in the soya sauce and the added salt that's enough.   Salt is a cure.

SiFumar

Sounds interesting! Will have to try it. I will use cure as that is what I'm comfortable with.