A little Sunday Baking

Started by Saber 4, May 12, 2014, 05:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Made a couple of crusty bread loaves on Sunday afternoon, one plain and one with 1 1/2 cups of golden raisins, I forgot to add the cinnamon when I kneaded the dough but it turned out to be one of the best breads I've made. Recently I switched to using a flour from our local Mennonite bakery called "Occidental Unbleached A/P" it seems to be a finer grind and they said it was good for cakes as well. I don't know if the Occidental is the brand name or flour type because they buy in bulk and bag it in 5 lb batches. I also made sure my water was in the 120-130 degree temp range which I've never done before this gave me the best rising loaves I've had to date.

tailfeathers

Good looking bread, Saber! Think I'll try the warm water next time to see if maybe it activates the yeast more for a better rise.
Thanks!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

I forgot to mention that I'm also covering the bowl with a clear shower cap and a dish towel, then I put the bowls in a cold oven to sit for it's 12-18 hours.

manfromplaid

i use warmer water also and then cover with a heated damp cloth  in the oven with the light on.  and btw  those are nice looking loafs

renoman

I've been letting my dough rise right in the cloche with a small piece of parchment paper on the bottom. When it is time to bake I preheat the oven with only the cloche lid in it. I found that handling the dough while putting it in the hot cloche was letting too much air escape from the loaf and I would get a heavier bread. Last few loaves have turned out excellent.

manfromplaid

going to try that renoman  thanks

Saber 4

Quote from: renoman on May 13, 2014, 05:33:52 AM
I've been letting my dough rise right in the cloche with a small piece of parchment paper on the bottom. When it is time to bake I preheat the oven with only the cloche lid in it. I found that handling the dough while putting it in the hot cloche was letting too much air escape from the loaf and I would get a heavier bread. Last few loaves have turned out excellent.

I'll have to give it a try, I shape my loaf to the length of the cloche so that when it is pre-heated I just have to dust my hands and pick it up and drop it straight in, then I use a paring knife to cut a seam down the top, so I really haven't had a problem with over handling at that point so far.

renoman

Saber, your loaves look way "puffier" than mine were coming out. That is why I went to putting it in the cloche bottom.

Saber 4

Quote from: renoman on May 13, 2014, 03:06:20 PM
Saber, your loaves look way "puffier" than mine were coming out. That is why I went to putting it in the cloche bottom.

You got to do what works best for you, I was getting a better loaf from the Pillsbury flour by kneading it only about 4 times and forming the loaf without much handling and one time I forgot to preheat the oven while I was working the dough so it got to rise longer sitting on the oven as it preheated and I noticed that I had a better second rise that way so I do that every time now plus the better flour and warmer water seem to be giving me a better loaf. You might give it a try and see if it helps you to.

SiFumar

Excellent looking bread!  I like just plain raisins in the bread no cinnamon.  Dried cherries/cranberries are most tasty with turkey/ chicken sandwiches.  :).  Around Easter, Christmas the dried fruit put in in fruit cakes/Easter breads plus a bit of cardamon and almonds reminds me of the German holiday breads my mom used to make.

Saber 4

Quote from: SiFumar on May 14, 2014, 07:23:59 PM
Excellent looking bread!  I like just plain raisins in the bread no cinnamon.  Dried cherries/cranberries are most tasty with turkey/ chicken sandwiches.  :).  Around Easter, Christmas the dried fruit put in in fruit cakes/Easter breads plus a bit of cardamon and almonds reminds me of the German holiday breads my mom used to make.

That sounds good, glad to see you pack posting Sandy