Another Cure ?

Started by LanduytG, May 13, 2014, 08:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I think I may try it your way next time I get a slab of bacon. What internal temperature did you take the bacon to?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LanduytG

I monitored each slab and pulled as soon as 155 was reached. This way I figured all were cooked the same.

Greg

Habanero Smoker

Thanks! I was thinking if you had used a lower IT, then when I made mine I was hoping taking it to a higher IT and would caramelize the surface more.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

LanduytG

I was going to use 137, but I like the idea of it being fulling cooked. I just paid better attention to the process this time and took your advise about cooking in the oven. I found out that both my daughter and son cook their store bought bacon in the oven too, so that clinched for me to try. I have always been against oven cooked bacon because when I was in the Navy thats is how they did it and it was bad tasting stuff. But I think one difference is, is that I laid mine out a piece at a time and it was flat. In the Navy they would just put in a big slab and not separate the pieces. Anyway I like what I'm doing now. Not sure I will even try any other way of smoking it it. I'm one of those people that once I find something I like I hate to try something else.

Greg