Another Cure ?

Started by LanduytG, May 13, 2014, 08:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

I just put cure on 12lbs of bacon. This time I used Habanareo's cure mix and used sugar instead of honey. 12 Tblsp MTQ and 12 Tblsp of sugar and I added 2 Tblsp of black pepper again as well. Adding the sugar really bulks things up. I worked the cure in very well and each piece has a lot laying on it. However I ended up with about a 1/2 cup or so leftover so I put it in a zip lock to use later. g

Should I have just used it all even though the cure was already thick on the bacon?

Thanks
Greg

CoreyMac

Sorry a little confused, you used Habanareo's cure mix and MTQ, and you added extra sugar? MTQ is designed for use as is with nothing added, and Habanareo's MTQ substitute has sugar in it and can be used as is also. Maybe this is why you seem to have too much.

Could you clarify a bit? ;D

Corey

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: CoreyMac on May 13, 2014, 12:34:28 PM
Sorry a little confused, you used Habanareo's cure mix and MTQ, and you added extra sugar? MTQ is designed for use as is with nothing added, and Habanareo's MTQ substitute has sugar in it and can be used as is also. Maybe this is why you seem to have too much.

Could you clarify a bit? ;D

Corey

I believe he used my recipe for Triple Smoked Bacon, but instead of using the Basic Dry Cure, he used TQ. I add quite a bit of sugar; 1 tablespoon per pound, because I like this bacon on the sweet side.

Quote from: LanduytG on May 13, 2014, 08:35:05 AM
I just put cure on 12lbs of bacon. This time I used Habanareo's cure mix and used sugar instead of honey. 12 Tblsp MTQ and 12 Tblsp of sugar and I added 2 Tblsp of black pepper again as well. Adding the sugar really bulks things up. I worked the cure in very well and each piece has a lot laying on it. However I ended up with about a 1/2 cup or so leftover so I put it in a zip lock to use later. g

Should I have just used it all even though the cure was already thick on the bacon?

Thanks
Greg

After placing the bacon in their container(s), you should have poured the remaining mix over the bacon. It is not going to make that much of a difference, so if everything is put away I would leave everything as is.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CoreyMac

1 tbsp. per pound would definitely give you a sweet bacon. :D Thanks for the clarification.

KyNola

A question of clarification here; 24 tablespoons(12 of MTQ and 12 of sugar)equals 1.5 cups.  If there is a half cup left over and not used does that not mean that 33% of the mix was not used and the meat may not have enough MTQ to be properly cured?  It seems to me that with all things being equal there is only 8 tablespoons of MTQ curing 12 lbs of pork belly.

LanduytG

I here what you are saying. I just measured whats left and its more like a 1/4 cup. The thing you just can't get anymore on the meat. Its already covered well. I look at it awhile ago and its only been in for 10hrs and they already have more juice in the bag than I had for the whole 9 days on the last batch. I'm just going to go with it and I think as Hab's says it will be OK.
I asked my 88 year old mother about it but she can't remember what they use to do. Her only comment was that it was a lot of sugar. But really I used a 1/4 of honey instead of sugar the last time it was not to sweat.

Thanks
Greg

BAM1

You still need to use the correct amount of cure weather it's TQ or Cure #1 for the weight of the meat. 
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

NePaSmoKer

Like Killary said

What difference does it make  :o

Habanero Smoker

Kynola raises a fair point. Though when curing you have plenty of play with between the minimum amount that can be used and the maximum. You only need 40 ppm to provide protection and color. Using the exact measured amount will give you approximately 156ppm, if you use Kynola's math you will still have approximately 103 ppm. Some lost in color and/or flavor may be detected.

A comparison of what Greg did would be the dredging method, that I have seen many use, and get good results. Dredging is a way I do not prefer go. Dredging is placing your cure mixture in a pan and dredging the meat in the cure mix, shaking off the access; then discarding any cure mix still in the pan. Dredging is a safe method, but will give you inconsistent results as far as flavor and color. Dredging is what Ruhlman calls the "salt box" method. 

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BAM1

So it's safe to not use the correct cure amounts that I've been reading on here for years?  I'm confused now.  I've not cured bacon before because I didn't have enough cure and now I'm learning I don't need all the cure I've been putting on my bacon.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

LanduytG

My second run of triple smoked bacon is done. With some concern about not using all the cure mix I let it cure for 10 days before smoking. This is the end result. Looks know different than the batch before when I used nothing but cure without sugar and used honey instead. I don't have time today to try it but tomorrow for because I will. ;D

Greg ;D

tailfeathers

Well if looks count for anything I'd say you nailed it. Looks great.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

Quote from: tailfeathers on May 28, 2014, 12:21:49 PM
Well if looks count for anything I'd say you nailed it. Looks great.

X2

Habanero Smoker

The honey does gives it a nice golden finish. Is the surface sticky? If not I may try either honey or maple syrup.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

LanduytG

WOW!!! the first go at it was good but I think this batch was even better. This time I cooked it in the oven at 375 for 15 minutes but that was to long long so I did the next pan at about 11 or 12 minutes and it came out perfect.

Habanero the surface is sticky with the plain sugar in the cure. But I think next time I will go back to hiney because I like that flavor a little better. Oven cooking I see is now the way to go. Cooked up a fair amount and what we didn't eat went into a vacuum bag into the frig.

I can now say I will not be buying store bought bacon any more. When opening the bag the smell alone makes your mouth water.
g
Gre