Corned beef and asparagus hot dish

Started by tailfeathers, May 14, 2014, 11:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tailfeathers

I was looking at Oldhickory's pickled asparagus post and it got me thinking about how much I love asparagus and THAT got me to thinking about this. This is a recipe I got from my mom. Every year on our birthdays she would let us kids pick a meal, and this was always my pick so I thought I'd share it. If you like asparagus and corned beef you are gonna love this, and if you don't like them I'm not sure I trust you! ;) ;)
2 cups dry macaroni
2 cans asparagus (drained)
1 (I use 2) cans corned beef, cut fine
3 T each butter and flour
3 cups milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 lb velveeta, cubed
Cook and drain macaroni, make sauce of butter, flour and milk, cook sauce then stir in soup and velveeta and heat until melted. Layer the cooked macaroni, asparagus and corned beef in a 9x13 casserole, pour sauce over and bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes.
This stuff is delicious!
As a side note, I thought to myself, if it's this good using canned corned beef and asparagus, how much better won't it be if I use fresh asparagus and real (not canned) corned beef? I tried it and believe it or not, I thought it was WAY better using the canned ingredients. Strange but true.
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

squirtthecat

tailfeathers

Oh and by the way, same with the cheese. Use the velveeta. And yes, I know it isn't REALLY cheese!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

squirtthecat

No worries - I like Velveeta.  ;)

Actually, working 7 days a week - Velveeta Mac & Cheese is almost a weekly occurrence at our place.  I usually throw in some frozen peas and a some canned/pulled chicken or tuna.

Might toss in chopped asparagus & CB next time.

Thanks for the idea!