Smoke generator stopped working

Started by Benjydog, May 19, 2014, 05:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benjydog

Just started using my new digital smoker. Did the 1 hr seasoning with now problem.  Then did a cold smoked salmon with now problem.  The issue is I then tried to do some back ribs and now there is no smoke generated.  I tried unplugging everything and plugging back in, but no change.  Pucks advance every 20 mins, but do not burn at all, just get pushed into the water.

Any suggestions?  Did I try too much for the first use?  The smoker was bought over Xmas but today was the first use.  I'll be completely surprised if I can find the bill to return it.

Thanks for any help!

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

Let's see if we can fix this issue for you.  First, remove the smoke generator from the tower and turn it upside down.  You will find 8 screws around the perimeter of the smoke generator bottom.  Remove those(it will not void your warranty).  You will see additional screws around the center of the bottom.  Don't remove those.  The generator will now open clamshell fashion.  Check all of the connections there and see if perhaps one or more of them may have jostled loose.  Once you have checked, close the generator, replace the screws, mount it to the tower and see if the problem has been corrected.

I hope this easy exercise alleviates your dilemma.  If it doesn't call Bradley service.  They will make it right for you.

No, you didn't do "too much" the first go round. 

BoxcarBetts

It could be a faulty bisquette burner. If you have a multimeter, open the unit as KyNola suggested and undo the plug connection for the burner.  Measure the resistance of the two wires leading to the burner. It should be about 115 ohms.

Here's the thread on my recent experience:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=35062.msg406396#msg406396
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

Benjydog

Thanks for the help. I took apart the machine and re-seated all the cables. I also checked the resistance of the burner and got 1 (ie open circuit). Put it back together and "magically" tried the smoker and within a minute the smoker burner got too hot to touch. I'm very confused about this result! I think this means it's working? Without putting a brick on it, can I be sure it's getting hot enough?  Why would I not have gotten the proper resistance? Are you sure it was 115 ohms, not much higher? My multimeter at 2000k gave a reading, but I don't recall what it was.

Thanks for all the help!

KyNola

You know the old adage "never look a gift horse in the mouth"? Well............... ;)

Benjydog

KyNola

My pleasure.

Get back to smoking.  Let me/us know if we can help further.

BoxcarBetts

Well, depending on what meter you have and the scale setting, it's possible that the resistance was too high for the scale, showing an open circuit (my meters all will show "OL" for open circuit or out of range).  But if you think you got a reading on your 2000k range, it's probably in the ball park of being good. If it were to fail, it would either totally open circuit or short out. So if you didn't trip the breaker, I doubt it shorted and if you got some form of a reading, it's probably okay! It should be 115 if you crank out the math for a 125W heater operated at 120V.

But all that aside, sounds like it's working again and that's all that counts!

Benjydog

BoxcarBetts - thanks. It's an old meter but hasn't let me down before. Maybe it's finally starting to go. I'll have to find some resisters and test it's functions. End of the day, you're right, seems to be working again!

tman1788

I have a similar problem. Bought my smoker in February. Worked fine for several smokes. Now it gets the biscuits hot but not hot enough to burn. When I had this problem before I cleaned every thing and it started working. But now no smoke ... Just oven cooked ribs. Very disappointed in the amount of maintenance required on this.

Benjydog

Call Bradley. Maybe it's a faulty burner and once replaced it will be all good. 

Benjydog

UPDATE:  so, my original biscuit burner does not work.  That time i tested it and the resistance was extremely high was a miracle that didn't last.   I got a replacement burner from Bradley and installed it.  It gave 112 ohms resistance before installation and burned the biscuits as expected (turned them into tiny charcoal pucks).

Thanks all for the help!

BoxcarBetts

Perfect!  Glad to hear it's working now.  Smoke on!