• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bacon for newbies

Started by topguntransfer, June 07, 2014, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topguntransfer

We just entered the world of Bradley smoking. Just purchased a 4lb pork belly and have Bradley's Honey cure. Do we understand correctly that just shy of 3 Tbsps. for the entire slab? Also do we put cure on the skin side or just the flesh?
Thank you all in advance for your help.
Ken & Cyn
Winston Churchill once said, "I feel sorry for those who do not drink. That is as good as they will feel all day!)

Habanero Smoker

I provided more information on cooking in your other thread.

Not knowing the percentage of sodium nitrite that Bradley has in their cures, I will have to default to their instructions, which is not to apply more than 3 tablespoons for 5lbs of meat. That will make it 1.8 teaspoons per pound; 1.8 x 4 = 7.2 teaspoons (≈7.25 teaspoons) for a 4lb slab. Apply the cure evenly on all sides of the belly, and cure as directed.

If you don't have the curing instructions, the Bradley Maple Cured Bacon recipe can be found by clicking on the below link, and when the PDF file opens go to page 13.

Bradley Cure Recipe
WARNING: This pdf file is about 57mg. It will take a while to download

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

topguntransfer

Thanks Habanero. We are looking forward to impressing our family and friends with this smoking. And we certainly appreciate folks like you lending advice. Like we said in our intro, we are charcoal chef's for a long time, but this is a whole new deal for us.
Thanks again.
Winston Churchill once said, "I feel sorry for those who do not drink. That is as good as they will feel all day!)

topguntransfer

The journey to carnivore candy has begun. I wish to thank my wife for supporting me in this endeavor. She knows that like other hobbies I have, this will turn into an obsession. I want to thank Habanero for doing the math for me. I have attached a pic of the .2 tsp. for you Habanero. You think that is close? The attached pics were taken last night. We removed the rind, wash and patted the belly dry and applied the "dry" mix. We are looking forward to the outcome, and hope to post some appetizing pics. Stay tuned.
Can't seem to get pics to load.

KyNola

A scant quarter tsp will suffice for .2 tsp.

Habanero Smoker

I posted instructions on how to post photo on the forum in your other thread.

In the future it would be better to roundup and substitute 1/4 (.25) teaspoon, such as 7.25 (7 1/4) teaspoons for the total amount of cure you will need for 4lbs. The .05 ounce difference is close enough to use instead of trying to guess at the amount.

You are now well on your way. Several members have had great success with the Bradley cures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

topguntransfer

Hey guys. I got in a hurry with pics. Posted on welcome page.
Thanks