• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

bacon bellies gone bad?

Started by HugeStapedius, June 19, 2014, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HugeStapedius

Fml   came home today to find my shop refridgerator door open an inch  the temp was 60f the bellies felt fairly cool tothe touch. My question is  they had been curing for five days and the door was left open from apx. 10pm to 4:30 pm next day . Is my $50 belly junk?   :( :'(

beefmann

I would not take a  chance ... discard the bellies  start with  new,,,  not worth getting  sick over

tailfeathers

Quote from: beefmann on June 19, 2014, 03:01:39 PM
I would not take a  chance ... discard the bellies  start with  new,,,  not worth getting  sick over
X2 :(
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

HugeStapedius

The freezer part was still dripping and meat was cool to touch. In sausage maker cure. In ziplock intupperware. The fridge cudnt have been above 40 for many hours. If i smoke as normal. And the then cook throughout. (Frying pan). Wud it b worth the risk. Already going to get another belly tom. Ps the belly was fresh cut from hog 1 hr before into the cure. 

KyNola

It is not worth it.  Your frig under optimal conditions would have been at 34-38 degrees prior to leaving the door open.  With the door open, the internal temperature of your frig was most likely above 40 degrees within 15 minutes.  Your door was open for 18.5 hours.  I have 2 thermometers in my meat frig and I have watched the temp rise 2 degrees in 5-10 minutes with the frig running.

Expensive but valuable lesson learned. 

Tenpoint5

When in doubt throw it out!! You know deep down that you should have thrown it out but this was a just maybe question. Don't feel bad we have ALL been there
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

That is a lot of bellies and money to throw away. You should post your question on the Homemade Sausage Making Forum, in the "Smoked Pork Products" topic. They have a lot of longtime experts that can give you advice on how to proceed.

I forgot to mention. When you post on the other forum, include how you cured them; wet or dry brined. Make it very clear how many days they were they curing before the door was ajar. Also how you monitor the temperature of the refrigerator, and where is that thermometer place.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

The way I look at it --People can give you all kinds of advice, but the bottom line is that it was in the danger zone for over 16 hours. No one can tell you with any certainty how your bellies were or were not affected.

Throw out the bellies -- $50
ER or Doctor visit --- > $75
Serious sickness --> $500

My vote: throw 'em out.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 20, 2014, 02:12:56 AM
That is a lot of bellies and money to throw away. You should post your question on the Homemade Sausage Making Forum, in the "Smoked Pork Products" topic. They have a lot of longtime experts that can give you advice on how to proceed.
Habs, May I ask why you directed the original poster to another Forum rather than accepting the answers given on this Forum?  Seems to me that whether you intended to or not you conveyed the message that the folks on this Forum aren't qualified to answer such questions.  Where was your opinion on his question?

HugeStapedius

After doing a little investigating.. i have decide to finish it off and b the test tummy!!
Im in canada ive already payed, if they have to fix me up.

Called Mr Sausagemaker they confirmed i SHOULD be okay. Since the product was skinless and had already cured for 5-6 days. Was wrapper tight etc.

They other forum is a very valuable resource  aswell.  Answers there said to keep and continue with the smoking.
The bellies are in their second hour of maple smoke as i type.

Thanx for the valued responses and opinions

Grouperman941

Quote from: HugeStapedius on June 20, 2014, 02:34:33 PM
After doing a little investigating.. i have decide to finish it off and b the test tummy!!
Im in canada ive already payed, if they have to fix me up.

Called Mr Sausagemaker they confirmed i SHOULD be okay. Since the product was skinless and had already cured for 5-6 days. Was wrapper tight etc.

They other forum is a very valuable resource  aswell.  Answers there said to keep and continue with the smoking.
The bellies are in their second hour of maple smoke as i type.

Thanx for the valued responses and opinions

Hopefully no one here will be in a position to say 'I told you so.'  I am another who would have pitched it if it was me -- not worth the risk.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

HugeStapedius

Ill let u  guys know either way.  I figured it was worth $6 in pucks to give it a shot. Ive done stupidier things and spent a whole heck more

slrpro02

I would have either Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C or MMS on hand just in case I started feeling sick. Do not take both this is either or. because they cancel each other out if taken together.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: KyNola on June 20, 2014, 02:23:09 PM
Habs, May I ask why you directed the original poster to another Forum rather than accepting the answers given on this Forum?  Seems to me that whether you intended to or not you conveyed the message that the folks on this Forum aren't qualified to answer such questions.  Where was your opinion on his question?

Though I didn't want to convey that members are not qualified to answer such questions; I will often direct a member to other sites, for either clarification and/or to seek a second opinion from a different set of eyes. In this case I felt a second opinion was needed, that more experience people in the area of curing who have probably dealt with most situations that can occur during curing, could better handle.

I guess that day I just didn't want to confuse anyone, and get into a lengthy argument over the danger zone. :) My opinion is totally opposite of yours and the other forum members, who have posted here. There were other factors to take into account in this situation. It had been curing in the refrigerator for 5 days; for a belly, it is probably already fully cured. In this situation we are talking about solid muscle, if there was any bacterial growth it would have taken place on the surface, where the salt and sodium nitrite is situated at a high concentration. The salt retards bacterial growth, and the sodium nitrite prevents most bacterial growth, so it is doubtful that any meaningful growth could have occurred in the 60°F environment for the 18 hour time frame he is indicating. Though be it, it is not the best practice; to cure above 40°F; I feel in this situation the mistake is safely retrievable. Just another thought, as an example of bacon being in the danger zone; when a belly is cure (after 5 - 6 day), after the cure is removed to make pancetta it is air dried at room temperature for another 5 - 7 days to concentrate the flavors. When I make my Triple Smoked bacon, it is expose to the danger zone for 3 - 4 days, at temperatures of at least 70°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Thank you for your honesty.  I took the time to check out the advice from the experts on the other website.  3 experts replied.  The first expert said "It hasn't been above freezing very long. I would keep it and finish it".  The facts state that the belly had always been above freezing.  It was cut fresh from the hog one hour before curing and had been in the frig for 5 days so his degree of expertness is suspect at best.  The second expert states that the belly should be fine, explains why he feels so and then sums up with "to pitch these bellies would be plain nuts".  The third expert who is also the moderator of the Forum correctly cautions that sodium nitrite will protect against "pathogenic" type bacteria such as botulism but will not protect against spoilage bacteria.  He goes on to state that while he doubts there is any major damage done to the belly he would like to know all of the facts.  In honesty, 4 hours later he returns and replies that "I'm sure your project will be fine".

Here is the score for the experts, the first expert apparently is not an expert.  The second expert says to keep it and the third expert cautions and is concerned about not knowing all of the facts and later replies with a reassuring statement of encouragement.
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 21, 2014, 02:27:36 AM
Quote from: KyNola on June 20, 2014, 02:23:09 PM
Though I didn't want to convey that members are not qualified to answer such questions; I will often direct a member to other sites, for either clarification and/or to seek a second opinion from a different set of eyes. In this case I felt a second opinion was needed, that more experience people in the area of curing who have probably dealt with most situations that can occur during curing, could better handle.
Again, thank you for your honesty.  At least now I know what you consider my level of expertise to be.