Happy Canada Day!

Started by BoxcarBetts, July 01, 2014, 03:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoxcarBetts

Hope all you Canadian smokers are having a good one today!

I decided that to celebrate I needed to make a whole whack of jerky.  Picked up some eye of round and pork loin centre and rib on the way home from work last night and didn't get a chance to marinate it.  So this first batch is just salt and peppered beef and pork, as well as pork with a special rub.  Gonna give it 2hrs40 of hickory and see how it goes.  I have a tonne more that WILL get to marinate overnight for tomorrow.  Should have a good batch for camping this weekend!

They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

cobra6223

Interesting what the special rub may be, more pics please and HAPPY CANADA DAY !!!

barbquebec

...Happy Canada Day...looking forward to seeing the finished product... :)

...aboard the Frances Barkley out of Port Alberni... 8)

BoxcarBetts

So here's the first batch.  Gotta admit, while still good, just smoke and salt and pepper is a little lacking.  I like the way the pork turned out; it was my first time doing it.  And the bunch with my "special rub" turned out really good!

And here's what's in the rub:

Matt's Smokey Pork Rub (serves about 4 chops)

1.5 tbsp mustard powder
1.5 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne

Throw it on a piece of pork before grilling.  It's something I got out of a BBQ cookbook and tweaked.  Really good as a base and then mop with some BBQ sauce.

Got another batch marinating in Worcestershire, ready for smoking after work today!

Saber 4

Looks good and Happy Canada Day.

BoxcarBetts

Thanks Saber.  Hard to save it for the upcoming camping trips!

Barbquebec, was that picture from a trip, or do you live on the Island?  From your name I would've figure you live in... Well... Quebec!

cobra6223

looks really good and sometimes simpler is better... Thanks for the "special recipe" !! ;D

barbquebec

...Hey BoxcarBetts...that was on a trip last year in September and I was just on the Island the beginning of June...also played some golf at Arrowsmith...try to visit at least once a year...lucky me having friends that moved to the Parksville/Qualicum Beach area...God's country for sure! ...keep up the good smokin'... 8)

BoxcarBetts

Quote from: cobra6223 on July 02, 2014, 08:02:31 PM
looks really good and sometimes simpler is better... Thanks for the "special recipe" !! ;D

Enjoy! :D

BoxcarBetts

Quote from: barbquebec on July 02, 2014, 09:16:17 PM
lucky me having friends that moved to the Parksville/Qualicum Beach area...God's country for sure! ...keep up the good smokin'... 8)

Lucky you indeed!  With the price of the ferries that go over there, we don't go often enough!  However, we are fortunate to break in the camping season in Bamberton, just between Victoria and Duncan this weekend.   ;D