Posting images - upload or only URL links?

Started by waynerto, August 28, 2020, 07:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynerto

Is there a way to upload images from my PC as part of a forum post or do I have to use the IMG tag and link to an image URL or an image file available on the internet?

When I click the Attachments and other options Plus sign it doesn't actually have anything about attachments.

TedEbear

You have to u/l your pics to a host site and post the link to them in a message on here.  You cannot u/l pics directly to the Bradley forum.

waynerto

Thanks Ted.  The one downside to that structure is that photo hosting sites can go away or can change their business model.  This leads to losing photos after a while.  Photobucket is an example - they were widely used for hosting photos but in 2017 they changed their policy and required a $99/yr subscription to allow linking to external sites.  I am active on other forums where this became hugely disruptive, like a Golf Course Architecture forum where some threads had dozens of photos of golf holes.

But I understand the reasoning as it negates the need for more file storage.

TedEbear

Yes, I was affected by the Photobucket change, too.  I refuse to give them a high fee each year when there are other free host sites that provide the same service. 

I think Photobucket hosted pics now show a watermark if someone still uses them and doesn't pay the fee. That's at least better than when they were blocking pics entirely.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on September 05, 2020, 02:41:21 AM
Yes, I was affected by the Photobucket change, too.  I refuse to give them a high fee each year when there are other free host sites that provide the same service. 

I think Photobucket hosted pics now show a watermark if someone still uses them and doesn't pay the fee. That's at least better than when they were blocking pics entirely.

That police is hit or miss. I have some photos that are watermarked, but more than not my photos have been replaces with the Photobucket icon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)