Swiss Cheese Question for the Cheese Experts

Started by Saber 4, August 16, 2014, 09:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Back in January I cold smoked a variety of cheeses including several blocks of Swiss and a couple of packages of sliced Swiss. Everything was done the same as I always do, smoked, bloomed on the counter for an hour, in the fridge to firm up then vacuum sealed and into the cheese fridge. Over the past few months we've eaten several packages of all the cheeses including the Swiss and a package of the sliced Swiss, then yesterday I went to get some cheese's and all of the remaining Swiss is covered with lot's of specks of white mold but none of the other cheeses have been affected.

Question is, does Swiss have something different about it that doesn't allow it to store as long as other types? or is there another cause I'm not aware of?

Salmonsmoker

Saber, did you handle the cheese at all with bare hands? Even freshly washed hands can transfer molds and bacteria. I smoke Swiss also and haven't had the problem. (yet) It may be more susceptible than other cheeses. Blooming on the counter instead of in the smoker? Just throwing a few thoughts out as I type. WSU's agri program has a cheese factory and makes some famous cheese(Cougar Cheese) and they recommend even changing the wrapper each time it's opened to prevent transfer of these little nasties.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Saber 4

Thanks, I did use gloves when I handled but did bloom on the freezer as I always do, it's in a small clean room. I'd be curious what the WSU folks had to say about it since the Swiss was the only one to have a problem.

Salmonsmoker

I was thinking that too as I typed. They're on the other side of the state, so not so easy to talk to a person to face to face, which I prefer to do. That way they can show you stuff. I kind of visual. It may have something to do with the culture used for Swiss cheese. I know, not much help. :(
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Saber 4

No worries but if you ever end up over there and think about it, it would be good to hear their thoughts.

pensrock

I have done lots of Swiss cheese, but not for myself so I cannot say how long it can be stored compared to other cheeses. No one i have ever done swiss for has mentioned ever getting mold so I do not have an answer for you.