Art's Beef Brisket

Started by Pistol Pete, November 04, 2014, 07:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistol Pete

They say smoking is an Art and not a Science.  Well, Art visited me last night and as far as I'm concerned he's welcome anytime.

I bought a 9+# Angus Brisket Flat at Sam's and cut off 3 1/2# on the thin end (save for another day).  Early in the evening I dry brined it with 1/4t of salt per pound of meat.  I fired up my 6 rack DBS at 11 PM, using both the heater and the smoke generator.  Set the temp level to 240°F.  I put in a tray of  baked beans from http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/50945/dutchs-wicked-baked-beans .Meanwhile I pulled the brisket from the fridge and rubbed it up with Big Bad Beef Rub, posted on amazingribs.com.

Outside, the ambient temp was 41°F (warm and toasty Canadian) and there was no wind.  At Midnight the DBS registered 214°F. and I popped in the brisket on the 2nd shelf from the bottom.  Total smoke, using Pecan, for 3 hrs (I spun and flipped the brisket after 1.5 hrs (1 1/2 Canadian)
At 3AM I poured on a quarter cup of low sodium beef broth and wrapped it up tight in aluminum foil.  Bradley temp was reading 227°F.  At 8:30 AM the internal temp of the brisket was reading 185°F so I pulled it out, wrapped it in some towels and put it in a "cooler" where it presently sits.

During the wrapping process a couple pieces, ahem, "fell off" so I was able to get a taste.  I'm going to vote in a few minutes and if they don't let that means that I've died and went to heaven.  Thank you Art

As many of you may recall, in the beginning I was having issues attaining a good operating temp and my smoke generator went nuts when I tried an alternate power source.  Not finding any place to put WD-40 or duct tape, and I couldn't find a hammer, I "gently" tapped it.(I took it off, looked at it, shook my head, and put it back on)...it has been heaven ever since.  Now I know you won't find that instruction in the manual or get that recommendation in this forum but it has been sweet ever since.

Pete

"Even computers run on smoke." " When you see the smoke escaping, they stop working."

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

River Rat

I make those beans all the time.  Mighty tasty.
River Rat
"Smoke On"