Aloha from Kaneohe, HI!

Started by bigalram, November 06, 2014, 01:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigalram

Just bought a Bradley Original from Amazon, and am awaiting it's delivery. Looking forward tosmoking and sharing with you guys. What a great forum!
I'm looking for ideas on smoking a 3.95# Semi-boneless lamb leg. Do i brine? marinate? Whats a good wood to smoke with? ...and temp? I'm hoping for a medium-rare? will that still be tender?

Also, fresh Ahi (tuna) is easily acquirable. Does anyone have a good recipe?
Thanks guys! Looking forward to reading and learning more of your stuff!
Mahalo,
Alan

beefmann

welcome aboard and enjoy,,, there  will be some one along  that can help you  with the tuna,,,

tskeeter

Welcome to the forum!

For some ideas, check out Our Time Tested and Proven Recipes at www.susanminor.org.

Ka Honu

Where in Kaneohe? (I lived on Kaneohe Bay Drive for 20 years before moving a mile away to our current house in Kailua).

I generally cold smoke lamb for about an hour and then cook it as I would normally (in this case, at low temp in a 180-200o oven to about 140o internal temp). Oak is always good although I know folks who use much stronger (mesquite/kiawe) and lighter (alder, ash) woods. You shouldn't need to brine lamb unless you're marinating/injecting for flavor. I'm pretty much a rosemary & garlic guy so I personally wouldn't bother.

I'm okay with marlin and other fish on the smoker but I never really considered smoking ahi. We like it too much raw, seared, blackened, etc. to go there.

dave01

TedEbear

Welcome aboard from St. Louis. My daughter lives on the Big Island, recently moved there from Mauai.  Wife's sister lives on Kauai. I recently made a deal with my wife that if she would climb Devils Tower with me in 2016 I would join her on a vacation to visit our daughter the following year.

bigalram

Thank you all for your kind replies!

Ka Honu, I live on Kokokahi, off of KBD! I thought all the smokers on this forum were back on the mainland! Good to know there's someone close by!
I appreciate your advice on the lamb. I'll give it a shot!
I'm with you on the raw ahi! I can't get my fill of poke!
I have, however found a Smoked Ahi Spread that Kokohead Foods LTD. offers that's to kill for, and I thought I'd give it a try, since I have all the tools!

Mahalo from the land of Spam-eaters!

Ka Honu

Most of the smoked fish spreads use liquid smoke - I've tasted great ones made with canned tuna so I'm not sure I'd waste a good chunk of ahi on it. I guess you could try it both ways and see if there's a discernible difference.

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum. Looks like the start of a Hawaiian smoke out. LOL
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

iceman

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 06, 2014, 10:42:10 PM
Where in Kaneohe? (I lived on Kaneohe Bay Drive for 20 years before moving a mile away to our current house in Kailua).

I generally cold smoke lamb for about an hour and then cook it as I would normally (in this case, at low temp in a 180-200o oven to about 140o internal temp). Oak is always good although I know folks who use much stronger (mesquite/kiawe) and lighter (alder, ash) woods. You shouldn't need to brine lamb unless you're marinating/injecting for flavor. I'm pretty much a rosemary & garlic guy so I personally wouldn't bother.

I'm okay with marlin and other fish on the smoker but I never really considered smoking ahi. We like it too much raw, seared, blackened, etc. to go there.

Gotta agree with you on all this. That seared ahi we had was to die for. Thanks again for all the fun during the visit.  ;D

Ka Honu

Quote from: iceman on November 08, 2014, 02:45:50 PMGotta agree with you on all this. That seared ahi we had was to die for. Thanks again for all the fun during the visit.

So get your scrawny butt back here - it's getting way too cold to stay up there.