Jamie Oliver's Shepherd's Pie

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, November 09, 2014, 07:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I watched Jamie Oliver prepare this on his Comfort Food show and wanted to try it, so today's the day.  He uses roasted lamb and rough cut vegetables in his Shepherd's Pie, I've never had it prepared this way.  The only thing I could think of to improve it was to add a bit of smoke.

I picked up a lovely leg of New Zealand spring lamb that's going to get an hour of cold Special Blend smoke and roast it in the oven for 4 hours.  If it turns out I'll post some more pics and details.  Hope it does, love lamb.

WoodlawnSmoker

Well this one was a bit of work but a fun project and turned out well.  The lamb was expensive but this recipe made at least 8 meals for my wife and I so in the end very reasonable.  I've got enough probably for the winter but I'll do this one again, spectacular tasting gravy from the lamb.  Here's his recipe if anyone's interested.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/shepherd-s-pie/

After smoke and 4 hours of roasting

Simmering with lamb, carrots, celery, onions and rutabaga

Mashed spuds lines the pie pan

More spuds on top with smoked cheddar and bread crumbs

Hearty comfort food

Quarlow

Man does that look good. Nice work. Today was a good day for comfort food. O
I made a big pot of Beef Stew today for dinner. Not as good as Shepherds pie but good just the same.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

slowpoke

If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.