What have I got myself into!

Started by JackAttack, November 10, 2014, 10:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackAttack

Nothing like jumping into the fire! Friends found out I have a smoker and basically told me I was going to smoke some pork for him. This will only be my second smoke!! He gave me a whole hind quarter and told me to experiment, yikes. So my question, I guess, is, how full can I pack my 4 rack smoker? I've got some meat sitting in the fridge now with some of Jan's rub to do tomorrow. I've got some pieces that vary in size. Going to fire up the wood stove very early to heat up the shop ( -10 C ) tomorrow, then fire up the Bradley. I believe I read here that the meat will only take about 4 hrs of smoke and the rest is cook time? What should the IT be for the final product? Sorry for all the questions, just don't want to mess this up.....but like hubby says, if we are going to experiment, might as well use somebody else's meat  :P

Habanero Smoker

The hind quarter (fresh ham) you only need to take it to around 145°F. I generally will take them to 142°F.  I'm not sure how you cut up the quarter, or how large the hind quarter you have. But if you can cook the meat in two sessions that is better than overloading the smoker. If you have some larger pieces, you may want to give some thought to curing some pieces for cured ham. Prior to adding rub, you should remove the skin, and most of the surface fat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

In addition to the good advice Habs gave you, if you have a large amount of meat you could also consider applying the smoke in your Bradley and then transfer the meat to your house oven to finish.

beefmann

good advice above, also you may  want to  consider  pulled pork, if you  do .. you  would have to go to 195- 205 F internal temp...

JackAttack

Thanks guys. I'm going to do the larger pieces today, then do the smaller pieces tomorrow as pulled pork. I'll try to remember to take some pics :)