Curing My First Pork Belly

Started by sdcaller, November 19, 2014, 02:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdcaller

As I recently cured a pork loin, I decided to do a belly to make some side bacon.

I'm using the same Bradley Maple Cure as I did for the pork loin, except I rubbed the right amount of cure all over the belly rather than making a brine as I did for the loin.

The belly is 4lbs, 2 inches thick at the thickest and has been in a Ziplok bag in the fridge for a week. Based on the recipe on the Bradley website It calls for a 2 week cure and to turn over and "redistribute" the cure every 2nd day--I have been doing that.

Initially, some moisture came out, but it now seems to have been reabsorbed by the belly and there is not much moisture in the bag?

I know from looking on this forum, that some bellies don't give off much moisture, but is the "reabsorption" normal?

The belly looks and smells fine and is not slimy.

Comments?

Thanks

SDC

Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

rexster

You're doing it right. Sometimes the fluid gets soaked back up and sometimes it doesn't.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

sdcaller

On Tuesday evening, I took the belly out of the fridge, washed/soaked it in fresh water and then dried it off, wrapped it in paper towel and newspaper and then into the fridge overnight. It had cured for 2 weeks. No liquid had come out of it.  Rexster--thanks for letting me know that was OK.

Wednesday morning into the smoker and I followed the Bradley recipe. I used hickory, maple and apple bisquettes--alternating.

Today I ran it through the slicing machine and it sure looked good. My wife and I fried some for lunch--WOW, was it ever good. Nice and mild and not salty.

SDC
Olde Tyme Square Dance for Fun

RedJada

Glad it came out good. Nothing like home made bacon. You made want to go out and pick up a belly or two. Down to 1lb from last batch witch is ear marked for some cold turkey samwitches.....

Saber 4

Now you won't have to buy bacon at the store anymore. :)

Dano

Sounds delicious! I have had great luck with the Bradley Maple cure and triple-smoked bacon. I found adding pure maple syrup and some extra brown sugar goes a long way too. :)

My only problem with smoking out bacon this way is I'm limited to 24lbs in my digital 4-rack. ;)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)