brisket origami

Started by JONNYK, November 25, 2014, 07:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JONNYK

Good day all. Picked up my brisket from my butcher yesterday, and while a fine looking slab, it has me wondering how to fit it in my OBS 4 rack. Have read the links to too large brisket etc, but I'm thinkin this beast came from a bovine Wilt Chamberlain. Tried the photobucket route to include pics, but as an ol fart had poor results. Brisket measures 28" X 11" ( Canadian, who cares.) and seemingly slim. Weight is 12.6 lbs( Cndn, again who cares). I assume my options are, as suggested by butcher, to cut it, or possible lean it against a 2nd rack leaned against oven box. Any helpful suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

GusRobin

I would try to fit it by bending like the link shows. If that doesn't work then I would not, repeat, would not, lean it against the side of the box. Grease dripping down the box is not a good thing and has a good chance of starting a fire. If you can't fit by bending, I would cut it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

JONNYK

Thanks guys. Read the link before, and was looking to se if anyone had a better idea on which to use. Gus, appreciate the heads up. The one tip I read was to use stand another tray between the box wall and the brisket. I am putting in brisket in a couple of hours so will make the fateful decision then. I am leaning toward cutting it as per "brisket to large" as I will be attempting some burnt ends and can use the thinner piece for that. XXX fingers crossed

JONNYK

Ok. Re read too large again and need to ask clarification, which may be a "DOH" question. In laying the cut part thick to thin, should I assume that they both go on the same rack?

watchdog56

Yes that would be correct. Overlap the cut ends. Try to lay them so the brisket is the same thickness across the whole rack.

Pistol Pete

One alternative is to go buy a second smoker.  Cut the right side off the first and the left side off the second.  Weld the remaining pieces together and you can now accommodate 28" (Bigger than will fit in one- Canadian).  Of course that will not solve your problem of having an over cooked rightside or an undercooked leftside (choose your sides, I'm not going to judge you).  What you may wish to consider is lopping that bad boy off where it skinnys up and saving it.  You will become a rock star with brisket Number 1  and your new found fame will compel you to buy another brisket.  Lop skinny from that and save it to pair up with the first skinny at a later date.   

Twas only 21 short years ago (A lifetime- Canadian) that Lord Stanley's Cup resided in Canada.....eh?

JONNYK

Thanks watchdog, that's what I did.
Excellent suggestion PP but as a true canuck, I would subscribe to the Red Green philosophy of using duct tape as I have no welding skills ::). Has been in smoker now since 8 pm (US-sometime before bed)IT at 165. Think I had a malfunction last night from a short in my electrical cord. After 4 hrs of smoke 210f (something C Canadian) moved obs into garage about 1:30am and all was good. Woke up for an ol man tour d'throne about 5 am and checked to find smoker off and box temp 160F. Thinking it might be the overload limit unplugged and got a "SPARK"at connection. Put extension cord to it and it fired right up. IT is now about 170f so will let it go for a while yet. Gonna do some pizza fatties this aft so will check again when I put them in.
PP. We suffered from winning too many before that so being true humble Canadian fans, we are sharing the wealth with ya'll

Gonna try this foto buckit thingie today and see if I can get some pics up

Pistol Pete

Red Green...absolutely brilliant!   I don't remember him smoking anything but I believe he used his car to cook something.  Kids In The Hall weren't bad either but I'm pretty sure they didn't play hockey  (Lots of videos of both on You Tube)  If you can't be handsome, be handy.