Potato Salad

Started by MWS, July 30, 2006, 01:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

I was just making some potato salad for Sunday dinner and thought I would post this recipe for those that may like potato salad as I do. I prefer the type that's low in mayo, so I concocted this recipe from various sources. I've made this particular potato salad many times and quite like it. If anyone tries it, please let me know what you think and tell me any alterations you may make.

Potato Salad

Ingredients
1.) 8 - medium red potatoes (cubed)
2.) 6 - green onions (sliced)
3.) 4 - radishes (diced)
4.) 2 - celery stalks (sliced)
5.) 2 - medium carrots (shredded)
6.) 1 - pickle (diced)
7.) 2 - tbls. Fresh dill
8.) 2 - tbls. Apple cider vinegar
9.) 1/3 cup - mayonnaise
10.) 1/3 cup sour cream
11.) 1- tbls Keens prepared hot mustard
12.) 1 - garlic clove (minced)

Instructions
1.) In a large bowl, mix the potatoes with the apple cider vinegar.
2.) Add the green onions, radishes, celery, carrots, pickle and garlic, then mix.
3.) In another bowl, make the dressing by combining the mayo, sour cream, hot mustard and dill, stir well
4.) Pour the dressing into the potato mixture and stir till coated evenly.
5.) Chill for 4-6 hours or overnight.

I think this will go great with an Alder smoked sockeye salmon I will be doing for dinner tonight. ;D
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

OmegaMan

Great recipe mws.  I love potato salad and my mother in law makes a great one.  She does something quite unusual, but the results make it worthwhile.   After the potatos are cooked and still warm, she takes Good Seasons Italian salad dressing, adds ketchup (yep ketchup), shakes the bottle and lightly coats the potatos.  Once they cool down, she adds the remaining ingredients.  The dressing penetrates the potato, so you get an extra layer of flavor you don't often get with potato salad.

Now I'm hungry...

gpsmoker

My bunch likes the potatoe salad recipe I picked up in Vienna a few years back. Small creamer (baby) red potates, thin sliced red onion, white vinegar, vegetable oil, sugar, salt, pepper.  Seems lighter than the variants with mayo. Goes great with all kinds of smoked and bbq'd goodies...

Greg
When it's brown its cooking....when its black its done!

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

Chez Bubba

I've had raves before when I've subbed out the mayo in potato or macaroni salad with cottage cheese pureed in a blender. Just a thought, & it's more heat-safe.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Chez Bubba on August 03, 2006, 06:15:06 PM
I've had raves before when I've subbed out the mayo in potato or macaroni salad with cottage cheese pureed in a blender. Just a thought, & it's more heat-safe.

Kirk
I've read an article recently that stated today's mayo is so highly processed that the food it is blended with will go "bad" before the mayo. The article made it clear that mayo will not protect against bacterial growth, but that the chicken, tuna etc will be more prone to bacterial growth then the mayo is.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OmegaMan

To cut down on the amount of mayo I incorporate the vinegar from Pepperocinis you buy in bottles and mince up a couple to add to the potato salad.  It works even better for tuna fish or chicken salad...

Patrick