• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Box Temp

Started by robs, July 31, 2006, 08:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robs

I've had my smoker for about 7 months now and haven't had any problems until the last smoke.

Ambient temp: 90 deg f. - no wind.

Preheat smoker: after 45 minutes box temp is 250. Then the light on the slider panel goes off and the temp falls to 150. 20 minutes later the light comes back on and the temp climbs to 250. This cycle continues for the next hour, so I went ahead and put my brisket in anyway.

To make a long story short, there is no steady temp anymore. No matter how I adjust the slider, it shuts off completely every 20 minutes or so regardles of box temp.

I reseated the cord connections and was using a digital thermometer to check temp.

I called customer service and they said that this is normal (low and slow he said). I agree with low and slow, but come on, a constant temperature is needed. Did I just get a bad rep on the phone?

It sounds to me like the slider panel is bad. For the 20-30 minutes that the indicator was on, the heating element was orange (it was night time).

In summary:
-Box temp fluctuates between 150-250 unloaded.
-Indicator light on slider panel shuts off after 20-30 minutes regardles of box temp and stays off for 20-30 minutes.

Comments are appreciated.

iceman

I'd talk to someone else at Bradley if it was me. That much of a temp swing isn't right. Sounds like the temp control is wacko.

TomG

Rob, with that kind of temp swing, besides a faulty rheostat, you might ask about the auto high temp cut off switch, which in your case may be opening at 250* and closing at 150*.

-Tom-

robs

Quote from: TomG on July 31, 2006, 09:21:29 AM
Rob, with that kind of temp swing, besides a faulty rheostat, you might ask about the auto high temp cut off switch, which in your case may be opening at 250* and closing at 150*.

-Tom-

High temp cut off switch - is this something I can check myself?

Thanks for the response.

robs

I called back and spoke to someone else. They are sending me a new temp control and cut off.

Thanks for the responses.

MallardWacker

Quote from: robs on July 31, 2006, 10:32:22 AM
Quote from: TomG on July 31, 2006, 09:21:29 AM

-Tom-

High temp cut off switch - is this something I can check myself?

Thanks for the response.

That is exactly what is...what happens after you put something in it???  I have experienced the same.

The thing is that the heat source is on the back wall along with the over hear breaker...I have only had this problem when the smoker is empty.

Let us know how things progress...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

TomG

Replacing the rheostat is relatively easy, so try that 1st.  Since I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, I have my wife remind me to unplug the unit before I work on it. ;)

robs

To clarify - the temp swing accures when the box is empty -or- full. I started a brisket in the box and after 3 hours of the heat fluctuating, i moved it to the oven.

Oldman

QuoteThey are sending me a new temp control and cut off.
Replacing the rheostat is simple as posted by TomG.

If they are also sending to you a high limit switch you will have to remove the complete back of the box. If I remember correctly you do not have to remove the plug in at the bottom of the box.

This is what a high limit switch looks like when installed:

It is located about 2/3 the way up. You can check your high limit switch by removing it from the circuit and just straight wire the unit. Turn it on and see if you still have a problem. If you don't then you know your switch is bad. Just remember for safety sake don't allow your box to get hotter than 300 F during the testing.

Good Luck!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

robs

Quote from: Oldman on August 02, 2006, 03:15:19 AM

If they are also sending to you a high limit switch you will have to remove the complete back of the box. If I remember correctly you do not have to remove the plug in at the bottom of the box.

It is located about 2/3 the way up. You can check your high limit switch by removing it from the circuit and just straight wire the unit. Turn it on and see if you still have a problem. If you don't then you know your switch is bad. Just remember for safety sake don't allow your box to get hotter than 300 F during the testing.

Good Luck!
Olds

I appreciate the information. I haven't received the parts yet, but when I do I'll post the results.

TomG

Olds, why doesn't your foam look like mine ???

Oldman

TomG,

I'm not sure why mine does not look like yours. I remember you posting that picture before. Did you call Bradley or send that picture of yours to them.? If I had to guess it would be that all units are tested before they are shipped to Bradley and the original wiring shorted out and was replaced before shipment. That does not look at all like smoke leakage to me. It looks like a burn mark.

That or you just got to stop recycling your burnt pucks ~~ LOL!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

TomG

Quote from: Oldman on August 02, 2006, 02:55:42 PM
That or you just got to stop recycling your burnt pucks ~~ LOL!

Busted :o

robs

Quote from: Oldman on August 02, 2006, 03:15:19 AM

Good Luck!
Olds

I may have to try this (removing the high limit switch from the circuit). They only sent me the slider, and not the switch and the problem remains. I'm doing a brisket right now, and it seems that the hi-end limit is 220. Once it hits this area, the unit shuts off until the temp hits 190. A bit different swing than last reported (150-250). I was shooting for a 225 steady temp for this brisket. Looks like I'll be finishing another one in the oven...

Habanero Smoker

Could your thermometer readings be inaccurate? Is it possible that the actual cabinet temperature was higher then 220°F when it cut off?

What are you using to measure the cabinet temperature? For a lot of us, we found the door thermometer inaccurate. If you are using a thermometer probe; have you checked to see if it is accurate?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)