Hi Mountain goose

Started by Greenhead, December 02, 2014, 06:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenhead

I have 3 lbs of goose breast withHigh mt jerky marinating for 24 hrs before throwing it in the Bradley.  This is my first time so im not sure how to test doneness.  (Is that a word lol). What temp and how much smoke should I give it?  How do I know when its done?  How long should it take on average?  Thanks for ur help!!!!

Habanero Smoker

Geese can be safely cook to a internal temperature of 145°F, fresh or cured. If you don't feel comfortable with that temperature you can go up to 160°F, but the meat will be much drier.

For the first time smoking/cooking them, I wouldn't apply no more then 1:40 hours, if it takes that long to cook. My preference would be pecan, but any of the fruit woods would be good. Cook at 225°F until the proper internal temperature is reached. If you used the cure in the High Mtn. jerky kit, you can cold smoke them for the time period given, then it would be best to finish them on the stove top; especially if they have the skin on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ragweed

I may be missing something here, Greenhead, but it appears to me that Habs is giving you advice on how to COOK goose breasts instead of DRYING jerky made from goose breasts.  If it's jerky you're making, I dry mine at 150* F.  A couple of hours of smoke is enough for me.  I then transfer to a dehydrator at 150* F.  Keep it in the Bradley if you wish.  My jerky is done when it bends but doesn't break.  In my dehydrators that's between 5 and 8 hours.

Hope this helps and I apologize Habs if I'm totally confused.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: ragweed on December 19, 2014, 07:47:22 PM
I may be missing something here, Greenhead, but it appears to me that Habs is giving you advice on how to COOK goose breasts instead of DRYING jerky made from goose breasts.  If it's jerky you're making, I dry mine at 150* F.  A couple of hours of smoke is enough for me.  I then transfer to a dehydrator at 150* F.  Keep it in the Bradley if you wish.  My jerky is done when it bends but doesn't break.  In my dehydrators that's between 5 and 8 hours.
totally confused.

You are correct. I must have posted that before my second cup of coffee. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)