Combo cooking techniques.

Started by TNRockyraccoon, December 23, 2014, 09:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRockyraccoon

Hey folks,

I have some questions about a ham and turkey breast I've been tasked to smoke for dinner tomorrow around noon.

I'm looking for tips on smoking both at the same time. I figure the ham needs to be above the turkey but other than that I have no clue.

Any help would be appreciated.

tskeeter

If you put an aluminum drip pan under each of the pieces of meat I don't think it will make a difference which is on top.

When I use a drip pan, I fold the sides in a little bit, so that the sides do not flare and the flanged rim is folded against the side.  My thought is that reducing the flare allows the smoke to circulate through the smoker better.  Using drip pans also reduces the amount of clean up required on the v-tray and puck bowl.

As an option, you could smoke each item separately.  Smoke the turkey breast (I apply 3 hours of apple), then move the turkey to the oven to finish cooking (total time about 4 1/2 hours for a 9 pound breast).  Then smoke the ham.  My thought behind this sequence is that your ham is probably already cooked.  So all you need to do is smoke it and bring it up to serving temperature.  And, if you need to, you can probably push the temperature up on the ham a bit to get it to serving temperature more quickly.  Or, cut the meat off the ham bone after smoking, cover the ham pieces (don't slice) with foil, and slide into the oven to finish heating.  The smaller sized pieces of meat will heat through more quickly.

Hope your day goes well tomorrow!  Merry Christmas!