• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New BS original arriving tomorrow - whats the best way to break it in?

Started by SmokinNY, August 02, 2006, 09:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinNY

Hi everyone,

My new BS original model is due to arrive tomorrow.  I plan on doing some brisket Friday night, I only have Thursday night to break it in, whats the best way for me to do that?

I also want to thank the folks at Chez Bubba for some excellent service, there was a discrepancy on my shipping address and they went far beyond what most merchants would do to correct it.

The shed is here, the guru raptor arrived yesterday so as soon as I can take some measurements i'll begin constructing a nice enclosure for it and post up some pics.

Thanks everyone for your guidance and help!

Habanero Smoker

Just follow the directions on how to season it. Once that is completed, and you want to do some smoking that same day, I would suggest chicken thighs and legs. Marinade them in your favorite marinade, apply 2 hours of smoke of your choice, and take them out when they reach 165°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Twinkle

I just got my new BS yesterday(to hot to start taking it out of the box). I want to thank everyone here for all the good tips(including Chez Bubba, ordered on Sunday, shipped Monday, delivered Tuesday). Already have a digital therm.(use it when I roast things in the oven, a great invention, just have to be careful with that cord on the probe.)

Have a little smoking experience, my Mom had a Brinkman,what a pain in the rump. She used to smoke alot of salmon and beef tenderloin.

Already have checked out Olds' recipe site, great tips on there too. I think I am going to do some chicken with my first smoke.

I do have a question. Where do you store/setup your BS?

Habanero Smoker

I've been storing mine outdoors with the protective cover that Bradley sells. I've been doing this for almost 2 years. So far I have had no problems with the BS that I can attribute to weather, and believe me it's seen all sorts of weather. Having said that I am planning on building a shelter for it. But having said that, I've been saying that for two years. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Arcs_n_Sparks

I store mine in the garage, and outside (with a cover) when the weather is nice.

Arcs_n_Sparks

manxman

QuoteWhere do you store/setup your BS?

Welcome to the forum Twinkle and good luck with your BS. ;)

I store mine in the garage and just move it outside under a car port when smoking which is handy to keep the sun and rain off it. Got a cheap workbench from a DIY store to stand it on for either storage or smoking.
Manxman

MallardWacker

WELCOME!!! Twinkle & Smoking in Yankee Town...you folks don't make yourselves strangers around these parts.

As far as the storage, my BS has always been out on the back covered porch with the BS cover...Have had no problem.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Twinkle

Thanks for the help! I think we'll keep it outside with the cover and put it in the garage over the winter(easier to get it out to use if  the weather is nice). Husband is going to look for somesort of nonexpensive bench for it.

I was reading the instructions and it talks about not using when it is windy. How windy is windy in Bradley speak?

Oldman

QuoteI was reading the instructions and it talks about not using when it is windy. How windy is windy in Bradley speak?
Young Lady I must have missed that information when I got mine a couple or so years back. One time it was really windy here so I got a card board box that was a tad larger than the Bradley cut the top out of it and then place it over the Bradley with the end flaps opened out at the bottom. Place a couple of bricks on those flaps as anchors... end of problem~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Twinkle on August 03, 2006, 03:12:37 PM
Thanks for the help! I think we'll keep it outside with the cover and put it in the garage over the winter(easier to get it out to use if  the weather is nice). Husband is going to look for somesort of nonexpensive bench for it.

I was reading the instructions and it talks about not using when it is windy. How windy is windy in Bradley speak?

You may want to think about placing it on a cart. It makes it easier to move around. I use to recommend the "stainless steel" three shelf cart that Sam's Club sells, but it will rust. At first it only rusted around where it was welded, but in the last couple of months the rust spread all over the cart. I did have it sitting outdoors in the elements for over 18 months. but at that time I thought it was completely stainless steel. It looks like it was only coated with it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SmokinNY

Smoker arrived yesterday, and I must say it sure is a good looking smoker.

I didn't get a chance to set it up due to thunderstorms, but tonight I have some chicken going in.

Thanks Chez Bubba for a great shopping experience, it arrived well packed and in one piece.

Twinkle

Broke the smoker in with some chicken on Sunday. Husband was rather skeptical of my new gadget, but after tasting the chicken wonder what I was going to do next. My 10 year old son thought it was the best chicken he ever had. So I guess I'll be firing it up again this weekend.

Put a Memphis Rub on the chicken for a few hours before, smoked, then wrapped in foil with some BBQ sauce and put in a cooler before serving.

iceman

Quote from: Twinkle on August 08, 2006, 12:41:27 PM
Broke the smoker in with some chicken on Sunday. Husband was rather skeptical of my new gadget, but after tasting the chicken wonder what I was going to do next. My 10 year old son thought it was the best chicken he ever had. So I guess I'll be firing it up again this weekend.

Put a Memphis Rub on the chicken for a few hours before, smoked, then wrapped in foil with some BBQ sauce and put in a cooler before serving.
Glad to hear you made a hit with the family. Keep us posted on the goodies you make next.