4 or 6 rack capacity

Started by waz, August 02, 2006, 01:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waz

I'm about ready to pull the cord and buy. What's the capacity of each unit? For examply how many pork butts could I cook at once?

projump

Hello,
     I just got my 4 rack DBS a week ago and have used it only once so far. I had 8 large pork steaks and 8 chicken thighs in there and it was full. I'm not sure how many butts would fit. Depending on the size of them, you might have to take 1 or 2 racks out. Anyone else smoked butts in the DBS?
                                           projump
When there are visible vapors in ignited carbonaceous material, there you will find parts of an omnivorous ungulate from the suidae family of mammals.

Chez Bubba

I usually smoke 4 at a time in my 4-rack, one on each rack, yielding about 24 pounds of cooked, pulled & bagged meat. This fits my program of a 14-18 hour cook.

I don't think I would try to put 6 butts in the 6-rack because it has the same heater bulb as the 4-rack and I'm guessing would take the cook time up to 24+. I would also guess that lower-density foods (fish, ribs, brats) would not be affected by the extra 2 racks full like 6 big hunks of cold meat.

When I tested my original 4 side-by-side with the digital 6, 4 butts each, the results were almost identical.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?