Greetings from PA!

Started by spangler2k3, January 04, 2015, 04:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spangler2k3

Hello everyone.  First time smoker here. Love love love the thought of smoking meats. Just a few things about me since its the introduction that builds relationships.

30 years old I live in central Pennsylvania. Love to hunt and fish. I am part of an outdoor group called Hunt'em Down Outdoors where we collectively hunt/fish/trap and compile footage to present to the fans what us the part time hunter does.

with wild game I like the idea of smoking stuff. Ill get to that later.

Just s couple things.. its cold right now in January.  How well does the smoker perform outside? Should I be building an insulated smokehouse of some sort to protect it or am I able to run the smoker in an attached (uninsulated) garage?

Also, something I can smoke as a beginner for a test run.. if you will.

Thank you for reading.  Cant wait to discuss smoking

dman4505

Welcome from western Iowa
Yes you can run the Bradley in an uninsulated garage, I do, just make sure you have good ventilation
Biggest killer for the Bradley is wind
Something easy for a good test run would be pork loin or ribs

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

waycoolcat

Hi, welcome from central PA, (near Altoona). If you can keep the smoker out of direct wind, don't open the door too much, keep a couple of bricks for a heat sink near the bottom, use boiling water in the pan and have patience it will get the job done. Having said that, sometimes I just use the smoker for smoke and then transfer to the oven at the same low and slow temperature to finish cooking during the windy cold months.
I'd suggest a pork butt for a beginner smoke. There's lots of recipes posted, but after the initial smoke period transfer to an oven for the rest of the cook to the proper internal temperature. In the warmer, less windy months I'd just leave it in the smoker for the whole cook. Good Luck!
I want to be a better carnivore!

cathouse willy

Spangler a cabinet for the smoker is a good idea. The heating element in the smoke box is only 500 watts so it can use all the help it can get.The smaller plastic garden sheds are a good choice although pricey. If you're able, make one of your own, just remember to have room for a cold smoke setup, a space suit of water heater blanket material also helps keeps it all warmer.

spangler2k3

Thanks for the advice so far. I am pretty handy in the woodworking department so I think im going to build a cabinet with bubble foil insulation/fire retardant zipwall.(probably overkill but im bored at night) I will also use the boiling water trick and try not to open the door as much as possible.. Im going to see how well the thing can get heated up/stay consistent with heat in cold weather.

I can vent the top  of the unit/cabinet so it runs out the window in my garage. with some minimal duct work

ill post pictures and hopefully a step by step process as I learn that it may be helpful for first time smokers to follow..

exited is an understatement

Thanks everyone

Jim O

Welcome from snowy central Ontario !
I vent mine out the window of the unheated garage,and have no problem keeping my temps where I want them. I keep my vent wide open,and don't open the smoker door any more than I have to. Also, if smoking outside,keep it out of the wind.
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

TedEbear

Some members have built some really nice cabinets/houses for their Bradleys.  Looking forward to seeing yours.  Here's a few to give you some ideas.

New outside cabinet for the Bradley

My new smoker cabinet

beefmanns new smoker digs

dave01

Hello and welcome to the forum

beefmann

welcome aboard  and to your hew source of information  lots of good information and  people

spangler2k3

I went generic and bought the Rubbermaid kind of cabinet, cut a hole in the top and used a vent from a mobile home I got a lowes..
currently its "seasoning" here are the pictures during that whole process. I ultimately got lazy and wanted to smoke stuff tomorrow, so I have st. Louis style ribs seasoning right now in the fridge and the wife is going to take care of them using the 3-2-1 method while im at work.. (KEEPER :) )

Sundance (I think was the name) cabinet that others have used on here.. with a mobile home vent.. (this is under roof on the deck so no water/snow will get inside)

Inside view of the smoker/cabinet

used a 3/4" spade bit and drilled holes to make the cords fit

Video of the "seasoning" process

SEASONING PROCESS IS RUNNING NICELY!  on medium setting its holding at 150 degrees on the thermometer and its 20 degrees out where I am currently.. so im happy happy happy :)

dman4505

Looks like a good setup
So when should we all arrive for dinner....ha ha ha

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

kayes

What are the dimensions of your cabinet? That's exactly what I need.
My name is Kayes, and I love meat.

dave01

looks pretty good but I think you'll end up putting another vent by the smoke generator in order for it to work properly

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

Welcome to the forum.
As stated earlier, put a couple bricks in the bottom area of your tower, either on the bottom shelf of around the water bowl. These will heat up as you are preheating the unit for use. They will hold onto the heat much longer than the thin metal racks inside the tower, so when you do open the door it will recover faster. Also remember to keep the top vent open, at least 1/2 way. Mine is wide open always. People tend to think by closing the vent it gets more smoke and holds in the heat but that does not work. The heat and smoke will back up into the smoke generator and cause damage. Also a closed vent causes moisture to back up and actually lowers the temperature. One more piece of advice, get a decent remote thermometer. Use it to let you know the real inside temp and also the internal meat temp. It will be much more accurate than the built in thermometer cause you can place it right next to the meat so you will know the temp where you are smoking. When done with the smoking part of the cook, 2-4 hours, empty the used pucks and water out of the bowl and fill the bowl 1/2 way with hot water and put back in, this is where any grease will get caught and help prevent any fires from happening.
Have fun and check out the recipe site. I suggest something easy for your first smoke, either a pork shoulder or something much faster like some ABT's. If you make ABT's make more than you think you want cause they tend to disappear fast.