• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New from UT

Started by rspeters, March 01, 2015, 08:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rspeters

Hey there, just picked up a used 4-rack (non-digital) Bradley yesterday and I've already started my plans for modifications. I'm new to Bradley smokers and new to smokers in general.

I've already done some reading on this forum and am planning on putting in the 900w element (already ordered) and Auber Dual Probe Pid (haven't ordered yet, but will be soon).

I cooked my first food yesterday (chicken legs) and it turned out well.

beefmann

welcome aboard and enjoy, The 900 watt element will help with temp recovery and stability,,, enjoy

iceman

Between the PID and the 900 watt element you've got yourself a nice set up. Welcome to the Bradley family  ;D

rspeters

Thanks, I'm excited to keep learning.

I see that I can get the plug n play dual probe Auber PID, or I can build my own.  I've seen the site that shows how to build your own, and between comparing that site and the Auber site, it looks like I could follow a similar path, but with the dual probe controller located here http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=464 .

I have a couple questions about this:

1. Am I right that I could build my own using the above controller and get the same functionality as the plug n play dual probe model?
2. It looks like I'd only save about $20 by doing it myself, but my understanding is that if I ever wanted to upgrade to a smoker with a higher wattage in the future, I could use this same controller and just upgrade a few parts. Is that correct?
3.  Anything else I should be thinking about here? Any recommendations?

Assembling it all myself doesn't bother me and I like the fact that I could integrate it into the smoker. I'm no pro, but I think I could handle this project, especially with the good writeups out there.

TedEbear

I read the description of it on the Auber website and it appears that it can offer dual probe functionality.

The controller has two sensor inputs. One sensor is for measuring the smoker cabinet temperature and the other sensor is for measuring the food temperature.

I'm one of the ones who modified my OBS with a single probe PID mounted in my smoke generator.  I liked the idea of a compact unit with not a lot of external wires running all over.  Most of my smoking needs do not require such a precise temp control but I just like to tinker.

Are you planning on installing that dual probe in the SG or a project box?  I don't know of anyone who has installed one of those in the SG.  It looks rather large (that's what she said) but I haven't measured the SG and compared it to the 96 x 48 x 90 mm (WxHxD) measurements of the PID that are listed on the website.

rspeters

I would prefer to mount it in the SG if it fits. But I haven't measured yet either. If it doesn't fit then a project box would be fine too.

dave01

welcome to the forum, If your buying a plug and play you don't need any box.

rspeters

Yeah, I was thinking about building my own rather than buying the plug and play.

Habanero Smoker

If you build it in a project box instead of the generator, that will give you more options. You can then use the PID to control other electrical heating devices, as long as you stay within in the wattage the PID is rated for.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rspeters

That's a good thought. I'm only considering building it myself so that I can easily upgrade it for something bigger if I want to in the future.

tskeeter

Quote from: rspeters on March 03, 2015, 07:56:01 AM
That's a good thought. I'm only considering building it myself so that I can easily upgrade it for something bigger if I want to in the future.

Or just build/buy it oversized for your immediate capacity requirements and you won't have to fiddle with it again.  Overbuilding for what you need today would probably be cheaper than replacing components later in order to increase the capacity.

I've rarely heard anyone say "it has more capacity than I can use".