• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Clogged Smoke Generator stops after 2 hours

Started by Stu_McI, August 08, 2006, 07:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu_McI

I am starting to have a problem with the smoke generator on my smoker. After the smoke generator has been burning bisquettes for about 2 hours it stops working and the "bisquette pusher" gets jammed. The reason it gets jammed is that the bisquettes that are closest to the "pusher" get so damp that they disintegrate. Has anyone had this problem? It seems like the humid atmosphere inside the smoker is responsible for this but I'm not sure how to fix it. I often run my smoker with the damper open a very small amount because I don't want the meat to dry out too much. It may be that having the damper barely open is not a good choice and that I should open it a lot more to reduce the humidity. If I do that, will the meat dry out? You can tell I am new to this.

MallardWacker

Welcome STU !,

The theory that your meat will dry out if you leave the vent open is a little false when it comes to a Bradley.  Leaving the vent closed or close to being shut off could be and probably is the root of your problem.  If you are making something like chicken, I can guarantee you that is the issue.  YOU MUST VENT, ask those guys at the cookshack site, they don't have a vent and they get the "GOO" syndrome going, also you will get fluid coming out the bottom of the BS.  Always start your vent open to about 1/3, this will work for just about any thing you are doing.  HTH and don't make yourself a stranger.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Stu_McI

You are absolutely right, I do get fluid coming out of the bottom after a few hours. I will open the vent next time and see if that eliminates the problem. Thanks for the quick and useful reply. Stu.

Habanero Smoker

MW is correct. I just want to add that it is also a false concept that moist heat = moist meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

asa

Welcome to the forum Stu. One rule of thumb is to open the vent at least to the point where NO smoke is seen coming out of the smoke generator port, then open it a little bit more for good measure. I don't think I ever close mine more than 1/2 way. I've read too many horror stories here on the forum about smoke generators getting so gummed up by smoke and moist vapors that they stop working entirely. So - no smoke should come out of anywhere except the vent. After you stop the smoking phase, leave it there and don't close it down any more. And as discussed elsewhere, for chicken, it needs to be opened even wider to allow the moisture to vent off properly.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

manxman

I agree, typically have mine vented a third to a half open although asa's comment on checken is a valid one.
Manxman

Stu_McI

Thanks to all of you. Your advice makes perfect sense. Now I can't wait until the weekend to put it into practice. I'll let you know next week how it goes.  ;D

Stu_McI

Just wanted to let you guys know that I took your advice about opening the damper and my smoke generator worked perfectly this weekend. Thanks!!

manxman

That's great new Stu_McI......... what did you smoke and how did it turn out?  :)
Manxman

iceman

Quote from: Stu_McI on August 14, 2006, 05:59:03 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I took your advice about opening the damper and my smoke generator worked perfectly this weekend. Thanks!!
Great news. Glad to hear that the cure was an easy one Stu.

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Stu_McI

I ended up smoking a large Turkey breast and invited my in-laws. Definitely scored some points there. They all went home with some so it was a hit. Doing ribs this weekend. There's no stopping me now  ;D

iceman

Quote from: Stu_McI on August 16, 2006, 08:02:07 AM
I ended up smoking a large Turkey breast and invited my in-laws. Definitely scored some points there. They all went home with some so it was a hit. Doing ribs this weekend. There's no stopping me now  ;D
Ya done good Stu ;D ;)