Christening my BS

Started by nsxbill, July 16, 2004, 02:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsxbill

Started the day with seasoning the new BS SS.  After the ritual was completed, got down to business.  

Got to try the different flavors, so using a mix of mesquite and Hickory for my first smoke.

3 lb brisket with mustard, pepper,cajun chili spice and another New Orleans spice without salt that was applied to the meat last night.  After 3 hours, I moved it to the top and put in 3 racks of meaty ribs, after sitting in a spicy sugar sauce I threw together.  I suspect I won't be trying any samples until about 10 tonight, but who wants to wait for the weekend?  

Hope it is ready then, as I would like to try the grub tonight.  I have to get up at 4 a.m. for work, but one has to have their priorities, and my first smoke is #1 tonight.

I have had one of the dual proble remote read thermometers for years.  Found the sending unit, but can't remember  where I left the waistbelt unit to read remotely.   Plan to rotate the ribs every hour from the bottom to the top.  I barded the ribs with Bacon, and think I will move the brisket down to the 2nd position and then the bacon drippings can  make the brisket a little more moist.  Beer is cold and ready....might just have to have one or two before late dinner!

Bill

I love the sound of deadlines as they whoosh by!
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Bassman

Sounds good Bill, One thing you might want to consider, If you open the door every hour you are going to have temp problems as it takes awhile to come back up. IMO rotating once half way through should be good.Good luck[:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Cold Smoke

Good luck NSX- hope you're still licking your lips/fingers at 5:00 am on your way to work!

Cold Smoke

nsxbill

Brisket was excellent.  100%Mesquite was a little intese on the smoke.  Ribs were tender and tasty, and I used some hickory mid-cycle on them.  Really just wanted to try out the new smoker, and not disappointed despite the loss of sleep last night.   Just sliced up a little of the brisket for a sandwich and the cool down and very thin slices warmed up with some spicy sauce was absolutely great on a sandwich roll.  Just might have another later.  

You kind of learn as you go.  Will definitely rotate mid-cycle, and next time a little milder on the bisquettes. I have a slug of bulk spices coming to expirement with "My" rub.  Bought my spices whole so I can grind them up myself for just the right texture, heat and freshness.

Now for the clean-up on the BS...Yuck!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Tominator

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Now for the clean-up on the BS...Yuck!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You will be tempyed to take this chore way too seriously!

Remove the racks, etc. Soak them in the sink for an hour and throw them into the dishwasher.

As for inside the BS, remove any caked on junk with a damp towel but don't get carried away. The black stuff on the inside will come off but this is what adds to the flavoring and the inside should not be cleaned as 'new.' Treat it like a seasoned cast iron skillet.

The bisquette tray only takes a second with a wire brush.

Remember only to use water inside the BS. No cleaners of any kind or you'll get some 'off' flavors.

<font color="red">Where there's smoke....there's meat!</font id="red">

nsxbill

Thanks Tominator,

That's pretty much what I did. Do you folks leave the underside of the drip tray alone, and get off all the black?  

Bill

Smokin Joe

Unless there are any drippings, wood chips, ashes, etc. I never do anything to the bottom of the drip plan myself.

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smokin Joe</i>
<br />Unless there are any drippings, wood chips, ashes, etc. I never do anything to the bottom of the drip plan myself.

Smokin' Joe Johnson
Caroline's Rub - Fine Spice Creations
//www.carolinesrub.com
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
ditto, if it doesn't come off in the dishwasher, I'm not worried about it. Unless it's so caked that the drain slots are blocked.

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?