I'm looking to cook some steak this afternoon need help with cooking times

Started by Jaymez, April 11, 2015, 12:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaymez

Hey people I'm gonna try and smoke 2   8oz steaks and 1 10oz steak this afternoon for supper

I would like the 10 oz to be medium well and both 8 oz steaks medium rare.
I'm  wondering the best methods and cooking time for medium well and medium rare

I will use the 3-2-1 method that's cool does anyone have these times down pat.

Message me asap or respond Asap as I'm getting the steak right now

Thanks

RedJada

manfromplaid

230 deg.  about 1 hr will give a med. rare + 5-7 min. on the grill will get it to med well.   that is how I did mine last week and they turned out nice.  good luck

Ka Honu

A lot depends on what cut and how thick they are.  A thick eight ounce filet cooks significantly differently from a thin rib eye of the same weight.  If they're relatively thin you might want to start the medium rare ones while they're still pretty much frozen. If thick that's probably not necessary.

Spliner

I'd have to agree, cold smoke the steaks with your favorite wood flavor and then plop them directly on the grill and sear them to your desired temp.  I did some this weekend, a huge 1" thick sirloin and 2 1" thick KC strips.  Smoked with special blend for a bit over an hour, then directly on the grill at high heat for a perfect medium rare.  Since I started doing this there isn't a steak house around that does a better steak than I cook in my back yard using the Bradley and a standard grill.

I usually use a tin-foil pan on the top rack full of ice, then put the steaks on the 2nd rack spot directly out of the fridge.  Then I fill the bowl at the bottom with ice water as well.  If it's a really hot day I'll even put another tinfoil pan with ice on the 3rd rack below the steaks.  Then just turn on the puck burner and not the element.  Smoke for up to 1.5 hours then finish on the grill.  It was about 70F this weekend, the Bradley stayed around 60-65F with the ice and the puck burner running.  Steaks were about the perfect temp to put on the grill when they were done smoking.  I also pre-heat my puck burner with the door open beforehand so heat doesn't build up in the cabinet.  I don't have a cold-smoke adapter yet, but with steaks and this method I have never needed one.  In hotter weather I won't smoke them quite as long if the cabinet temp starts getting above say 80F. 

I've also used this method, re-wrapped the steaks in plastic and put them in the fridge for later grilling, but I prefer to go directly from smoker to grill.

Never tried cheese with this method but could probably do it.

Spliner

bundy