Another Canuck

Started by Shuswap, May 19, 2015, 06:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shuswap

I have been enjoying my new hobby of sausage making and smoking for 2 years.  The Bradley forum is one of my daily reads.  I use an OBS and am experimenting with diy pucks.  I've been a hobby woodworker for 55 years and am currently making a set of oak dining chairs – 2 buckets of oak sawdust and shavings so far  ;D

Here is my first ham – a 21 pounder.  I used Pop's brine with no added spices and his injection procedure.  It was in the brine for 30 days.  I then followed Hab's procedure for the smoke using pecan pucks.  That started at 7:45 am yesterday and ended at 3:am this morning.  It is now in the fridge wrapped in plastic and tin foil for 2 days. To be able to use the stokinette, I hung it from a hook mounted through the OBS vent.

Since there is only the two of us, I will de-bone and cut the ham into its sub primals following Pop's ham tutorial.   DW is anxious to get her hands on those soup bones and I'm looking forward to ham and eggs on Thursday. :P

Smoker John

Welcome aboard, that ham looks great!
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

piratey

Welcome to the forum, hope you find lots of helpful information here and add some of your knowledge as well.

Shuswap

Smoker John - did you make a post about diy pucks where you drilled holes in alder blanks?  If so, I've misplaced the bookmark - can you point me to it  I've been unsuccessful searching for it.Thanks, Phil

Smoker John

Shuswap, it wasn't me hopefully you find it, I'll let you know if I do.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Shuswap

Thinking back, I think the post was from a member in my hometown 200 miles south of you 8)