Help! To Smokey

Started by Polomarco, August 06, 2015, 10:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polomarco

I got a Bradley Smoker for my birthday!! So after a little setback (smoker wouldn't push fresh Bisquettes onto heating element) I've tried beef roast and boneless chicken breasts.
Both times the results were underwhelming.  :(
In both cases the meat flavor was lost to the overwhelming smoke flavor. I used Hickory with the beef and apple flavor with the chicken.
What's the secrete? Do I stop using the Bisquettes 1/2 way through the cooking process?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jim O

How long did you apply smoke? Max should be 2-3 hrs .
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

beefmann

it depends on the meat, chicken and turkey typically require less smoke while beef and  pork can  handle  more.. typically 2  to  4 hours also hickory and misquite are  strong  woods so  less time in  smoking in  required , you   may  want to  try with  some of the  other  woods  like  maple,  oak,  special  blend, alder, apple, pacific blend..

hope this helps

Polomarco

I added smoke the entire time......Ooops. :-[

beefmann

Quote from: Polomarco on August 06, 2015, 11:31:40 AM
I added smoke the entire time......Ooops. :-[

chalk it up to the  learning curve

pensrock

yep they got it figured out for you. You may want to start out with only 1-1/2 to 2 hours of smoke. If that turns out too mild for you then you can increase the smoke time the next time you plan to smoke something. Under smoked is easier to eat than over smoked. also some peoples taste is more sensitive to smoke than others.

tskeeter

Polomarco, different types of products absorb smoke at different rates.   Poultry absorbs smoke more readily than some other products.  I checked my smoke plan last night and confirmed that when I smoke a turkey breast, I apply 3 hours of apple smoke.  For something smaller, such as your chicken, I think Pen's recommendation of 1 1/2 to 2 hours is a good starting point, and then you can adjust to suit your preferences.

For larger cuts of meat, you will want to apply smoke longer.  The conventional wisdom here is that after four hours, most meats won't absorb a significant amount of additional smoke.  So most members cut off their smoke application at four hours and save their puck money for another smoke.  I'm doing some pork shoulders for pulled pork over night tonight (7 - 8 pounds each), and I'll be applying four hours of hickory smoke.

As you found, wood selection is a factor, too.  I prefer a lighter smoke, so I use apple for most of what I smoke.  (Tried cherry once and found it too sweet.)  Here is a list of the woods I tend to use for different products.

Cheese - apple, or another light flavored wood
Fish - alder, maple, pacific blend
Pork - apple, hickory
Beef - hickory, oak, mesquite
Poultry - apple
Nuts - apple