Labor Day Bacon (pic heavy)

Started by Grouperman941, September 07, 2015, 05:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grouperman941

I started this last week. This is Red Wattle pork -- the first time I have tried anything with such 'fancy' meat.

I just used Basic Dry Cure for 6 days, soaked for 45 minutes, rested overnight, seasoned with salt and pepper, and smoked (maple, 3 hours).

It is far and away the best I have made. The fat feels more like butter. It took on the cure flavor nicely, but the sweet pork taste really comes through. Also, I usually lose at least a pound of 'water' when I do bellies, but My yield was over 90% on these.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

NorthShoreMN

Great job, I am preparing to smoke 40 pounds of belly that I got from Canada, just regular order no special breed.  Hope mine looks as good as yours when done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Grouperman941

Quote from: NorthShoreMN on September 07, 2015, 05:57:14 PM
Great job, I am preparing to smoke 40 pounds of belly that I got from Canada, just regular order no special breed.  Hope mine looks as good as yours when done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks.

For what this cost, I could have smoked 40 pounds of the belly I usually get. I have not determined if it is worth it or not.

Good luck with yours.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Saber 4

Looks great, I've got to get back to making bacon myself.

beefmann

meyer lemon

Great looking bacon!!!  Like Saber, need bacon but waiting for Tennessee temps to drop.

KyNola