First bacon!

Started by Thompsoncentre, September 10, 2015, 04:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thompsoncentre

So I just put the rub on my first bacon. I did the maple cure of the Bradley recipe site.
I cut the belly in half so there about 3lbs each. I have them in bags fat side down like it said but I have them in a plastic tub stacked on top of each other. Is that ok?

Habanero Smoker

Stacking a few on top of one another is alright, you will just need to overhaul them daily or every other day. I prefer daily. I haven't see the recipe that you are referring to, but I do have a question. Did you place them individually in plastic bags to stack, or stack them on top of one another inside the same bag.

If they are in individual bags, stacking is alright, but when I have the refrigerator room, I will not stack them. Either way,  every one or two days, you should flip the bags over. If there is any liquid inside "slush" the bag around to redistribute the liquid. If you have them stacked, after flipping the bags over, place the bag that was on top on the bottom. There is no need to keep them fat side down. One day they should be fat side down, the next fat side up.

If you stacked them on top of each other inside the same bag; every day or two (daily is recommended), rotate the top belly to the bottom; keeping the fat side down.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Thompsoncentre

Yes they are in seperate bags. I will flip and rotate daily. Thanks.
I think it's your recipe actually

Habanero Smoker

You should be good, and smoking some bacon shortly.

If you are referring to Maple Cured Bacon; 10.5 provided that pictorial.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

RedJada

This will be you next time you stroll past the bacon case in the grocery store.

Thompsoncentre

Lol mope so! Hope it turns out. I'm going o smoke it after 7 days? Maybe 8

Thompsoncentre

It says once done smoking. To peel of skin? What skin would he be talking about?

RedJada

The bellies usually come with skin on. It's about .12" thick, little less. I normally remove the skin before I cure/smoke. But yours may not have the skin on. Can you post a photo of the fat side?

Grouperman941

Quote from: Thompsoncentre on September 13, 2015, 04:32:15 AM
It says once done smoking. To peel of skin? What skin would he be talking about?

After smoking, the skin will shrink up and be obvious.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Thompsoncentre

How Important is it I reach the 140 mark?. I dot want to have it fully cooked. Was just going to keep it at the 140. Butttt of course my temp prob quit working half way threw. I'm about an hour in right now. Going to roll smoke for another and thennnnn?

Habanero Smoker

Your bacon will be fine. The 140°F, is not all that important, you will need to remember to make sure it is fully cooked prior to eating it. Some just cold smoke, keeping the cabinet temperature below 90°F, and others like to bring their bacon up to 132°F - 135°F.  Even when I bring mine up to 140°F, I always like the crisp it prior to eating. Also when making a sweet bacon, like you made, bringing it to 140°F in the smoker, cuts down the time you need to crisp the bacon, and prevent burning the sugars. Though cooking the bacon on a low flame, you can crisp it without burning the sugars.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Thompsoncentre

Thanks
So I got done my first bacon last night. All sliced an vac sealed. i think it was a huge success!i smoked for 2 hours. Wish I would of smoked longer doesn't have much smokey taste but the sweet tasting is amazing! Thanks everyone for there help, it's just unreal how much everyone is so helpful on this site!
I feel like the real way to say thanks is post pics. I have some great pics start to finish but it won't let me post them for some reason. Any interested in me emailing them to them to post Orr I'll try again later. Thanks everyone :)

Habanero Smoker

I'm glad to hear your first bacon is a success.

What device are you trying to post from? Such as a computer, smartphone or iPad?

If from a computer, you need to join a photo hosting site like PhotoBucket, and link your photos from that site. PhotoBucket and many similar sites are free, with limitations. The below link is a little outdated but can be useful:
How To Post Photos

If you have a smartphone, many users are using the Tapatalk app, which I have never used.

I
         don't
                   inhale.