New to the forum!

Started by Tisonvelez, September 16, 2015, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tisonvelez

Hello everyone! Just purchased a new Bradley smoker and still unsure how to use it. I did ribs for my first smoke and they came out under Cooked and super smoky. After doing a little research I think I know where I went wrong with them... I am attempting to do a brisket this weekend and have a few questions if anyone can answer them. The first is what is the normal cook/ smoke time for the Bradley? From what I have read I do not need or want the smoke generator on the whole time? The ribs I did had the generator on the whole time and we're super smokey tasting.

Is there a golden rule to follow about how long I should the pucks advancing while smoking? The second question I had was what temp and cook time should I use for my 6.5 lbs brisket? I look forward to hearing from the community and getting a nice piece of meat on Sunday. Thanks again!

tskeeter

For information about smoking a brisket, check out the following ink.  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?313-Brisket-Pachanga  This takes you to a recipe site where recipes from the forum's most experienced smokers are stored.

And yes, your assumption that you do not need to apply smoke for the entire cooking period is correct.  Although the smoke application period varies by the product you are smoking, and the size of what you are smoking, the conventional wisdom here is that four hours of smoke is plenty for large cuts of meat, such as pork shoulder.  For ribs, I apply 2 - 2.5 hours of smoke.

Since your smoke generator will give some additional heat, several forum members leave the smoke generator on with no puck on the burner plate after the smoke application.  This adds about 25% to the heating capacity of your smoker, which is helpful when you've opened the door, etc.

Tisonvelez

Great link I really appreciate it! Didn't realize that the brisket needed to be smoked so long. Thanks again and I look forward to sharing the outcome from the weekend!

beefmann

welcome aboard,

in general 2 to 4 hours of  smoke is  plenty.
the  pucks advance once every  20   minutes.
box /  tower  temp should be  set at  225 F, once the meat  goes in this temperature will drop,,, dont worry about it ,, this is normal...

as a  rule of  thumb you  ca n look as 1 to 1 1/2 hour per lb  of meat,, this is only a   rule of thumb... most here when  using the  bradley  run a  remote thermometer so we  know the  exact temps,,, on all  meats..

as for ribs they will be  close to begin  done when they  pull back  1/3 to  1/2 inch from the   end of the  bone...

also keep the top  vent  open... keep the top  vent  open...

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712