Pulled pork for250 people

Started by oldsmoker, October 09, 2015, 07:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsmoker

Was asked to do pulled pork for a end of season kids football group. 250 adults and kids. how many butts will I need ? and how long . I have a 6 rack and a 4 rack.  Thanks for all the help.
OLDSMOKER

beefmann

that is a huge crowd ,, ,id figure some where between 1/2 to a  full pound per person and 30 % shrinkage...  so 200 to 250 lbs,,,

the  process i  would use is ... start off filling both  smokers as full as i can  with the  meat and run at  225 F for  3 hours,  then transfer to  large 22 quart electric roasters to  finish  cooking,,, run the roasters at 225 with  bbq  sauce continue to  cook till shredded,,,the 22 quart  roasters  will hold   approx 30 lbs of  meat,, so you  would  need 7 to 8 of them.. also they  would be  great to aide in keeping the  meat  warm...

expect this to be a continuous job for 24 to 48 hours,,, maybe a  bit   longer,,, it is a  lot  of meat,,, and  not  sure of how  hungry every  one will be.

I can not  say  exactly  how long it  will take,, an  average it  will take between an hour and 15  minutes to 1 hr and  45  minutes per  lb of  pork , However, it is done when it  is  done,,,

using the  smokers to  smoke the meat then  transfer to another cooking method will help you  get the  mass of the meat done as  quickly as  possible...  just have everything  ready to go  when you  start,,, it  will be a task.

Mr Walleye

Here's a link to a thread where I did pulled pork for 80 people. Mine was definitely a smaller crowd but I had plenty of pulled pork. I think a big part of the question of how much you need is answered by how much other food is there as well.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=22218.0

I highly recommend the Lays recipe that Habinero Smoker posted in that thread. It was easily the favorite sauce. I tried the link in Habs post but it doesn't work. I'll see if I still have recipe kicking around.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

I did find the recipe. I'm happy because it really was that good on Pulled Pork with a little cole slaw on it as well.

Tangy Carolina BBQ Sauce

Description:
We use a real recipe with all-natural ingredients to make our new Tangy Carolina BBQ
flavor. That's right – now you can create the flavor of these chips in your home.

Ingredients:
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup chopped white onions
2 tbsp butter
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
¼ teaspoon chili powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste

Instructions:
Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil over high
heat. Allow sauce to cook at a rolling boil, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until the
sauce is reduced by 1/3.
Remove the sauce from the stove and season with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate until ready to use.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes