Thanksgiving turkey

Started by cathouse willy, October 13, 2015, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

I tried something different this year. I brined the bird overnight in a low salt brine,a first for me. After 2 1/2 hrs of smoke at 230f  I pulled and spatchcocked it. Then I placed the stuffing in the bottom of the roasting pan with the bird resting on the stuffing. Into a hot 450f oven for 30 mins and then down to 350f till the thigh hit 160f. The breast and thighs all finished at the same temp as the bird was flattened,plus I got moist smokey meat with brown crispy skin and proper turkey flavoured dressing.This is a keeper!

WoodlawnSmoker

That sounds pretty good, I'm going to have to try that.  I'm always kind of paranoid that the stuffing will not get up to temp while in the smoker, your method may work well.

Mine turned out pretty well this year too with a combination of brining, smoking and oven time.  So juicy and tasty, the Bradley is the best for low and slow.  I think people have eaten so many dry birds, it's great to see their faces when you serve them something so moist and tasty.

Habanero Smoker

The end results sounds good, but my only concern would be if the stuffing had reached the USDA recommended safe 165°F. With the turkey not fully cooked when placed on the stuffing, the juices of the not fully cooked turkey will flow into the stuffing. Having said that, I personally feel that the 165°F recommendation for stuffing is too high, but I do follow that recommendation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 14, 2015, 01:54:46 AM
The end results sounds good, but my only concern would be if the stuffing had reached the USDA recommended safe 165°F. With the turkey not fully cooked when placed on the stuffing, the juices of the not fully cooked turkey will flow into the stuffing. Having said that, I personally feel that the 165°F recommendation for stuffing is too high, but I do follow that recommendation.
I have the same reservation as Habs when it comes to the juices of an under cooked turkey getting into the stuffing.  You indicated you took the temp of the turkey.  Did you also check the temp of the stuffing? 

cathouse willy

I did check the stuffing and it was the same as the thighs, 160f. Because the whole stack of stuffing and turkey is relatively thin 4-5 inches and the oven at 450f is very hot it doesn't take long to heat through.

Habanero Smoker

This has peaked my interest! I may try this the next time I smoke a turkey.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)