Are different salts saltier than others

Started by takem01, December 26, 2015, 07:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

takem01

I just finished another batch of peameal bacon. Instead if pickling salt, this time I used kosher salt, because I'd used up the pickling salt. Same Rx, same measures, same cure time. But this time the bacon seemed to be a little more salty. Are kosher and pickling salt about the same?

Saber 4

Short answer is no, not all salts are created equal. There are a couple of good threads on the different salts, their weights and uses here and of course we have some resident experts that will be along shortly to give you a much more detailed answer and hopefully they have links to provide for some of the better discussions.

Habanero Smoker

First; how did you measure? If you measured by volume, the measurements are going to be off. The crystal sizes in salts vary, so when using different types of salts, you should always weigh the salt, or find a table that has converted the volumes of the different salts; to get the most accurate measurement. Using salts with larger crystals, the result will be less salt by weight per volume. Using a salt with smaller crystals, the result will be more salt by weight per volume.

Second, what country are you from? If you are from the U.S. pickling salt has finer crystals, being the same as table salt. In this case substituting kosher salt for pickling salt, measured by volume, you would be adding less salt, so the final product should be less salty. If it came out more salty, then other factors may come into play.

If you are from Canada, from what I've read on this forum, the crystals in pickling salts are much larger, so by substituting kosher, measured by volume, you may have added more salt. Take kosher salts as an example. There are differences between the crystal size of kosher salts. If measured by volume, using one cup of Morton's Kosher salt, you are adding almost twice as much salt if you use a cup of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt. If the crystal size of the kosher salt is smaller than the pickling salt, you would be adding more salt by weight per volume.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

takem01

I'm in the US, in Alabama.
Perhaps it was just my perception. Everyone said it wasn't too salty.
I'll be getting more of the pickling salt before I brine again. 

Habanero Smoker

Below is a chart that has and accurate representation of the differences of amounts of salt per volume. Amounts are rounded off.

1 cup table salt; including pickling salt (all U.S. brands) = 10 oz. = 285 grams
1 tablespoon = .625 oz
1 teaspoon = .21 oz

1 cup Morton Kosher Salt = 8 oz. = 225 grams
1 tablespoon = .5 oz
1 teaspoon = .17 oz
1 tablespoon of table salt = 1 tablespoon + .75 (3/4) teaspoon Morton Kosher salt

1 cup Diamond Crystal Salt = 5.5 oz. = 155 grams
1 tablespoon = .34 oz
1 teaspoon = .12 oz
1 tablespoon of table salt = 1 tablespoon + 2.25 (2 1/4) teaspoons Diamond Crystal

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)