Smokin Ribs & Chicken

Started by David6340, July 17, 2004, 03:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David6340

I just got my BS and would like to break it in Sunday with some backribs and half chickens. I saw a recipe in the rib thread referencing Berry Fine Baby Back Ribs on page 188 of Sublime Smoke. It sounds great, using a dry rub overnight and making a glaze out of strawberry jelly, ketchup, onion, worcestershire sauce and cider vinegar applying to the ribs 1 hour before they are done and repeating in the last 15 minutes for a total cooking time of 2 /12 to 3 hours @ 225-250. I've seen some people on this board indicate that they smoke ribs  for 6-7 hours at lower temperatures. I would appreciate any advice on what sounds right. Also any advice on how long to cook the chicken halves would be appreciated. [:)]
Thanks in advance!

Thanks
Dave

PAsmoker

My ribs rarely take longer than 4 hours.  Temp is usually between 200-225.  I don't think that there is one answer as to what sounds right. It's more like how you like them done, how much time you have, how often you open the door, etc.  To me, it's more of a personal thing.  Recipies are fine, but I feel that they are only a guide, not etched in stone.  Trial & error is also a great way to learn.  Sometimes "mistakes" turn out great.

Depending on how big the chicken halves are, they can take 2-4 hours.
The Original PAsmoker

Bassman

David
Here is a thread on chicken Thighs, hope it helps[:)]
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=299

Concerning ribs, Check out the rib thread under meats. But I also go approx.31/2 - 4 hrs. @ 200F. Always come out tender & moist.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack