Brand New to smoking with a brand new smoker.

Started by jeffTrophy900, August 16, 2006, 05:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffTrophy900

Just got my new 6 rack digital today. Ok, so I have read about and will season it. My problem is this, I want to make everything! Any recommendations for a first timer recipe, I'm thinking it would be something hot smoked/cooked (although I can't wait to make bacon and such) , brisket? pork? Any advice would be appreciated, I have a lot to learn and I am all ears. I have a selection of different bisquettes and plenty of cold beer, I know that's the first step!

robs

It's pretty hard to screw up pulled pork. I do pretty much the same as Icerat in this thread:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2127.0

Arcs_n_Sparks

jeffTrophy900,

Welcome to the forum. 900 must be a bowling thing. ???

Good advice from robs, and icerat and others will probably weigh in. Pork butt is a good start, and easy to do. Just have to be patient and not peek. You will be happy with the results.

Arcs_n_Sparks

jeffTrophy900

Thanks! printed out that thread, as per your recommendations, I'll let you know how it turns out. The Trophy 900 refers to my motorcycle, a Triumph, not bowling.

manxman

Welcome to the forum Jeff, nice to see someone with something other than a Japanese motorbike!
Manxman

jeffTrophy900

Thanks for the welcome manxman. Does your name refer to the cat or the language? I am also very into all things gaelic, Isle of Man TT, music etc. Love the bike and I know I'm going to love the smoker, seasoning it tomorrow, then a business trip to Dallas till Thursday, Friday the smoker is going to be stuffed with pork butt ! There is an absolute wealth of info on this forum, I have printed out so much it's like a book! Should make for good reading on the plane. I'll post the pork results. Cheers!

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

QuoteDoes your name refer to the cat or the language?

I am born and bred Manx and have lived on the Isle of Man all my life, never been a motorcyclist myself but at 6ft 6 inches tall perhaps that is just as well!! I am an ardent fan of the TT races though, an awesome spectacle. Also very proud of my gaelic heritage.

There are several commercial smokehouses here, perhaps the most famous smoked product is kippers (smoked herring) but they do all sorts nowadays. Perhaps this gave me my love of smoked food but in my view nothing beats the BS for simplicity and quality of end product. :D

Whereabouts are you?

Have fun........................... ;D
Manxman

jeffTrophy900

Excellent! The TT is on my list of must do's, spectacle is right! I reside in New Hampshire.
Well, seasoned the smoker yesterday and everything functioned just fine, now I know why they use the aluminum spacer pucks, got to make a couple in my shop. I have an idea for a simple widget and method for homemade wood chip pucks, I understand that they use collagen as a binder? I think that is gelatin basically, anyway if I can nail the binder, what I have in mind is pressing a "salami" of chips, and when it's dry slicing off pucks on the band saw, worth a try, I'll let you all know how it goes. Friday is pulled pork day, can't wait!
Cheers!

Chez Bubba

Quote from: jeffTrophy900 on August 21, 2006, 09:17:45 AM
Friday is pulled pork day, can't wait!

Jeff, too much information!! ;) ;D :o ;D ;D ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

asa

Quote from: Chez Bubba on August 21, 2006, 06:37:54 PM
Quote from: jeffTrophy900 on August 21, 2006, 09:17:45 AM
Friday is pulled pork day, can't wait!

Jeff, too much information!! ;) ;D :o ;D ;D ;D

Kirk

But thank's for sharing anyway.

Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!