ceramic casserole or cast iron Dutch oven?

Started by ghosttown, November 15, 2016, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghosttown

Which one you guys prefer and why? I recently bought a 6.5qt cast iron and didn't use it ye but I will this weekend in the smoker but now I'm debating to get the ceramic one. Any benefits between the two other than the ceramic is easier to clean and better maintenance? Would both of them give the same taste in food?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

tskeeter

I had plain cast iron Dutch ovens.  To keep them rust free is a bit of a hassle, even here in low humidity N NV.  Unless they are exceedingly well seasoned, they need to be dried in a warm oven after each washing.  Yeah, I know the conventional wisdom is to wipe cast iron down after use.  But, sometimes it takes some water to get residue off.

I replaced my cast iron with porcelain clad cost iron (LeCreuset).  It's way easier to keep clean and I can't tell any difference in flavors.

Habanero Smoker

As mentioned, today's porcelain enamel clad cast iron is very easy to maintain. Almost as easy as cleaning non-stick pots and pans. I never used ceramic cookware, though it is lighter than cast iron, I cannot provide any other information. The food produced out of either should taste the same. If you have uncoated cast iron that is just seasoned, you may want to avoid cooking acidic foods, that require a long cook time such as making tomato sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ghosttown

Awesome thanks, I meant to say porcain enamel not ceramic.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Gizmo

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

wickmen

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 16, 2016, 01:54:20 AM
As mentioned, today's porcelain enamel clad cast iron is very easy to maintain. Almost as easy as cleaning non-stick pots and pans. I never used ceramic cookware, though it is lighter than cast iron, I cannot provide any other information. The food produced out of either should taste the same. If you have uncoated cast iron that is just seasoned, you may want to avoid cooking acidic foods, that require a long cook time such as making tomato sauce.

The ceramic cookware is also good for the cook, it never affects the human stomach. Cause I personally use it for cooking. I never faced any problem till now.