Custom PID

Started by robs, August 19, 2006, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robs

Quote from: icerat4 on August 24, 2006, 09:31:36 AM
Are any of you guys planning on premaking these units and selling them .Just a thought.You guys did a great job doing this project  ;D.I would buy one of these .But ive got my sliderbar and temps for what i do down to a tee.All my food that has come out of my bs is great and i have it down pat.But for all the other people out there that would like this pid.It seems there might be a small market here for them.Once again great job guys. ;)

I've considered it. There is still alot of work to be done. I would consider what we've done to be a prototype.

Oldman

QuoteI've considered it. There is still a lot of work to be done. I would consider what we've done to be a prototype.

Just a simple word of caution, and I don't want to step out of line here, but if you do make them then I would suggest looking at what it takes to get them UL approved, and look at the cost of Product Liability Insurance which is anything but cheap.

Many years back I looked into Product Liability Insurance for a line of private labeled cleaning supplies. When I got the quote I looked at the amount and told my insurance man that I was not looking for that much coverage... he replied: No that is your annual premium! DUH~~~!

If you have $100.00 in parts the minimum to sell it would be $200.00. Things add up quickly. It is kind of like most folks never see what an employee really cost an employer.  For Example, for every $100.00 in salary I pay to an employee it cost me $138.00.

The 38% override is made up of FICA, Unemployment Tax, Workman's Comp, Health Insurance, General Liability Insurance, Employers Quarterly Federal Tax which is base off of our FICA, plus other Benefits--paid vacations, sick days, holidays.

If you were to do this then get with an accountant if you don't have one and find out if it would be better for you to form a LLC or a Sub-Chapter S Corporation.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

icerat4

Guy i consider this a side job  ;D.This is and never will be a mass product.This is a hobbie a fun thing between a bunch of friends :D.Why complicate things ???.All i am saying is this pid is amougst friends in the bradley family sharing recipes.Me personally i wont use one .Like i said i am fine with my machines.But there is a helping hand out here for those who want this .Once again i am glad this all worked out for all who took the time and effort to put it together. ;) ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

iceman

Beat me to the punch Old's. It's one thing to make something and send it to a friend but a whole barrel of snakes to sell something like that. I was developing a test piece of carbon fiber insulated shield for making chilled armor for police dogs and each UL test was a minimum of $15,000.00 and a year lead time. They needed to do seven different tests minimum. Ouch. The dogs are going to have to wait for some big guys to finish that one. The liability insurance was up there with Bill Gates salary! To bad society has forced things to be this way.
With all the effort that has been put into this I think that if I feel confidant to build it anybody can. You all have done a stupendous job on the project!

car54

Olds, you are spot on right. I have given PID's away but I believe with the right lawyer and circumstances that could back fire on me. It is unfortunate. When I was involved as an amateur race car driver we all had to sign waivers and it was widely know that any mediocre lawyer would destroy it.

If you want to make a PID there is enough information on this site to do it safely and if you still do not feel comfortable find a local mentor. 

Brad

TomG

The market is small, the liability is big, the satisfaction of doing it yourself is nothing short of sensational.

icerat4

LIONS AND TIGERS AND LAWYERS. >:(.As much as i understand you guys its just a dam shame.Well i just put it out there.Next topic. :)

nodak

Yeah LIABILITY sucks.  I have a small side rental business, I started this yr and only way I could get a insurance policy that will cover me from peoples own stupidness is the renter needs to sign a liability release than my insurance covers me ???.  If life was fair, I wouldn't need insurance if you signed a liability release.  It always comes down to has the best liar(lawyer).

Also how about any fuses on your PID drawing.  I went overboard and put a 1 amp slow blow for the PID(auber recommended)  and a 15 or 20 amp on the power.  I also plan on being able to run a small electric heater for camping or thawing out waterlines in the winter if needed. although will probably won't ever actually do it, but have the ability to.

Oldman

nodak! Hey if you can send to me pictures of your unit I will be glad to add it....

For those in the know who posted after me there are always those people who want to take a short cut. Limited knowledge does bring destruction on those who listen to that illiterate who wishes to express the important of .... their very limited thought lines / knowledge.

Some people never get it and never will!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

icerat4

Well some people dont have all the answers like others here  :P.And some people like short cuts and will pay for stuff other people spent the time on.And this is a place where there are no stupid questions ???.Just a bunch of love and friendships and o whole lot of SMOKING.  ;D Olds i wouldnt put your self out on who gets it and who dosent and who will ever get it.Just make sure you can crank up those shutters fast enough this season. :D

bubbagump

Quote from: TomG on August 24, 2006, 09:47:25 AM
Ice, my humble suggestion would be to call Crydom Tech. Support(877-702-7700), describe your application, load, PID cycling rate, etc. and see which SSR configuration they would recommend. ;)

Iceman - TomG has given excellent advice concerning your question. I have used Crydoms' Tech support in the past and have been very satisfied with it.

Old's - With regard to UL rating and liability, couldn't agree more. Even the slightest mod. to a UL listed device voids its rating, and skyrockets your liability. Screw one of these mods. up and burn someone's house or deck down (god forbid injuring or killing someone) and see how long the friendship lasts when big money is involved.

My 2 cents.  :)

Bubbagump

Oldman

icerat I made up my mind quite some time ago never to address one of your posting again. However, this time I just can no longer let one of your postings slide.

You rat are one of those that just does not get it.  I don't care a rat's A$$ that you don't.  I do care about this site and the number of people that come here for information.  Good folks that will take your from the hip information as truth.

As far as your statement" And this is a place where there are no stupid questions I have not seen a question as of late from you in this thread where you did anything but state your off-sided opinion.

I will tell you clearly that given your history, and now with this current event that you are very lucky that I'm not Admin here. Does POOF come to mine? You are a dangerous member of this community!

A Hint For You, and this is based upon your own statement: Well some people don't have all the answers like others here. The answer is Silence is Golden when knowledge / truth is lacking.

While all those that have replied since my last posting are on spot I believe bubbagump's closing statement is so clear that even a Rat can get it.... and see how long the friendship lasts when big money is involved.

I have written this beratement out so that anyone who has read your posting will come quickly to know that they had just read a Rat's misleading off the hip opinion.

I do hope I don't have to waste more time addressing your off the hip statements again.

Olds

TomG

Quote from: nodak on August 25, 2006, 11:16:50 AM
15 or 20 amp on the power. 

Nodak, Just a thought re; your 15 A fuse.  BS, anticipating that an owner might use the oven plugged directly into power without the generator and its 8 Amp fuse, put a fixed 10 Amp fuse next to and in series with the high temp cut off switch.  I've also fused the power side of my pid, but use a standard, replaceable 8 Amp AGC fuse.  If the system shorts, the 8 Amp fuse will blow and I won't have to call BS for their 10 Amp proprietary fuse and then tear the oven apart to replace it. 

icerat4

Sorry guys.Olds has a thing for me >:(.I wont go on here with him and make this an up and back deal.I apoligize to anyone that has taken my post the wrong way.Olds i do have one last parting shot for you.Please dont play god your not right on all occasions people have opioions and thats what i gave.You dont have to go into attack mode because something here posted dosent meet your standards.Who made you god here.Please do not attack one of my post again.I am not leaving here. I like it and i think i do add a little here.Not like u o mighty one but just a lilttle.This is supposed to be fun.But your turning this into something else.So take a chill pill and relax old man and stay cool.And ill do the same .SORRY once again guys your work and a job well done on this pid system.Good luck to all ya.ICE OUT... :'(