Conecuh County Sausage

Started by ratherbboating, October 23, 2017, 07:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratherbboating

Though I had asked this question before, but could not find it.
I would like to make a version of Conecuh sausage and can not find where anybody has attempted.  So I am going to make a trail version from what I think is in it.
Some of the things are:
high fat content;
I would guess they use a lot of ice in the processes, so I will add more than normal;
I though they use a liquid smoke (in addition to smoking), but they may be using chipotle to give it that taste and to give it a little heat;
On the web site they say they add a hint of sage;
Maybe dark kayro syrup for the sweet taste (do not think there is maple flavor in it);
nutmeg or allspice?;
toasted caraway seeds then ground;
coarse ground black pepper;
salt;

Anybody else have any ideas of what may be in it?

The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

ratherbboating

First try.  It was not Conecuh sausage nor was it a breakfast sausage, too spicy.  But not bad, added it to some beans last night.  Might try it in a bun, as a sausage sandwich.  What I used:
2 lbs pork (the pork was from the ham and had good marbling)
1/2 lbs fat
1 cup ice
1 tbs Chipotle
1 tsp Sage
1 tbs Dark Kayro syrup
½ tsp Allspice
½ tsp Toasted caraway seed
1 tsp Black pepper
1 tbs Salt
½ tsp Red pepper flakes
½  tsp MSG
½ tsp Cure #1
½ tsp AmesPhos
½ cup cold water
Used Hickory about 45 minutes at 200F,  will not smoke as long next time.  Pulled at 150F and let bloom until cool.

Going to try again with the same basic recipe, but..
Reduce the Chipotle to 1/2 tbs, add some liquid smoke.
Replace the roasted caraway seed with 1/4 tsp plain ground seed.
Up the dark kayro to 2 tbs.
Up the fat to 3/4 lb , reduce the pork to 1 3/4, total 2 1/2 lbs
  Will try again in couple of weeks.

The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

Wildcat

I applaud your efforts and wish you luck. I live in Northwest Florida and Conecuh county Alabama is about 20 to 30 miles North of me. Almost every grocery store has their sausage so I just buy it. It is one of my favorites and it is perfect for making cajun dishes.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ratherbboating

I will try a new batch some time next week.  The first batch, while not what I was looking for, tasted good.  I grilled some out and put them between buns (with spicy mustard, onions, and sharp cheese) and they were good.
I live in NW FL for a few years, near Molino.

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/