Whats a good beef/pork ratio for summer sausage?

Started by Iowabucks, April 07, 2018, 09:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowabucks

Hey everyone, first time sausage maker, long time smoker here.

I plan on tomorrow making some summer sausage, brats, Italian sausage, and some beef sticks. This will be my first attempt. I have been doing a lot of reading and still have not figured out the proper meat ratios for different sausages.

Brats I would assume are 100% pork. Guessing Italian Sausage would be too? 

Would a 50/50 beef/pork combo work well for a summer sausage and sticks?

Would the amount of fat on the chuckies and butts be enough, or should I try and get some extra pork trim too?

Years ago I worked for a deer processor for a few years and made a lot of his deer brats, summer sausage, jerky, sticks, everything. He used a 50/50 mix of deer and pork for his summer sausage. Also included beef tallow but I don't remember the amounts of that.

Just trying to figure out if different types of sausages use different types of meat, or if it is more of a seasoning thing, between the different types of sausages.

I'm on my way out to buy a number of pork butts and chuck roasts. Hoping to do at least 30 lbs of various meats and sausages.

Gafala

Most of the time I use what my butcher has 50/50 he will add more pork if I ask for it. Sausage is what you use as a spice, summer sausage, brats, baloney., even my salami is the same grind its just the spices used.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

watchdog56

When I make venison summer sausage I use 3# venison to 1 # pork butt. Version is leaner than beef but it comes out real good.
For beef stick I found using regular 80/20 GB works well. Tried 85/15 and it seemed a little on the dry side.

IanBuckland

Em, to be honest, it depends on what you like more. For instance, I prefer it to have a more beefy flavor, so I always mix around 70% beef with 30% pork. My husband likes pork more, so I combine 50% pork with 50% beef when cooking for him. Both are good; just make sure your meat is of high quality and fresh! Anyway, I've got a question for you guys. I'm looking for a beef jerky dehydrator, and I read on bigwigjerky.com.au that the Devanti and Hisen ones are pretty good. Which one would you go for? Thanks!

boxerjake

2/3 moose , elk , deer or beef to 1/3 pork for the princess auto or cabelas peppercorn summer sausage pre made packs .

I do 75 to 125 lbs at a time , gone in a week .... surprising how many friends you have when you make good sausage .

PS: I also hang it in my basement , casing tightens up and meat drys out like summer sausage is suppose to

lisahall

I was also looking for the same summer sausage thread. Now got answer. Thank you for posting.