Smoked salt

Started by RSpence, October 22, 2018, 01:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSpence

Can I get some advice on how to smoke salt because I have no idea how to do this. Do cold smoke or hot smoke? How long do I smoke for?

Ka Honu

If I have an extra rack available on my Bradley (when hot smoking - I never have extra space when cold smoking) I usually put sea salt on a large (circular) coffee filter and put it on the top shelf for an hour or so, then let it cool before storing. You can stir it about mid-smoke but not really required unless you have a thick pile on the filter.

Habanero Smoker

For salt it is best to hot smoke. I use Diamond Crystal, and I will spritz it with water until damp, before the smoke and while stirring during the smoke (filtered if your water contains chlorine). I usually use a small disposable pan which I've cut the sides down to 1" high, and stir a several times during the smoking. I usually keep the layer of salt less than 1/2" thick. For time I go by color, and after removing from the smoker it generally will darken a little more over time. 

The reason I spritz with water, is so the smoke will adhere better. After taking it out of the smoker stir a few more times, and allow it to dry. If you want to speed up the drying process, put it into a 200°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RSpence

Thanks folks for your advice. So its for 1 hour minimum but at what temp? Or does it matter? One other question is, what wood do you use? Keep it easy with a fruit wood, apple, etc, or go heavier with oak, mesquite?

Habanero Smoker

You are going to have to smoke much longer than one hour. You are looking at least four hours. When I smoke salt, unless I'm using all the racks for salt, I will plan to smoke something else with it; such as cheese, nuts, or vegetables such as jalapenos, tomatoes etc.

If I'm smoking it with something else, then I will have to consider what else is in the smoker. If it is cheese I will cold smoke, keeping the cabinet under 80°F. If it is only salt, or if I'm smoke/cooking some other foods, since salt is a mineral, basically a rock; the temperature is not crucial. I find I get better results using a cabinet temperature of 225°F, and keeping the salt moist. 

I would recommend going with the heavier flavor woods. I have never achieved the strong smoke flavor you get from commercial salts.

Around this time of year I start making my infused salts. Some I smoke, but most I don't. Herb infused salts smoke really good, you just have to be careful of the temperature so you don't burn the herbs. Liquid infused salts are great to make. There is no basic formula, but I generally will use 2 parts Diamond Crystal salt, to 1 part liquid - such as vinegar, hot sauce, soy sauce etc.. After trying a few batches you can adjust the liquids to either more or less to your liking. Stir until well combined. The stirring takes awhile to toughly combine the ingredients. Again during smoking and or drying, you must be careful not to burn the ingredients. I always remove them from the heat while a little damp, and let them finish by air drying at room temperature. Whatever type of salt you are making, you need to stir frequently during the drying.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

sourtooth

You guys are really over thinking smoked salt. Line your racks with paper. I use the stuff they roll out on tables at party's. Works great. Spread your salt about 1\4 inch thick on the racks. Smoke for about 6-8 hours stirring everly hourvor so. You don't need heat. Go by color, it will darken over time but it should be a light brown color before taking it out. Like I said 6-8 hours will do it.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

I wouldn't call it over thinking. I've done it similar to the way you are doing it now, but with coffee filters. Over the years I found I get better results using my current method. I tend to use some heat, because chemical reactions occur more rapidly at higher heats.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wildcat

Love this post. I usually just purchase my smoked salt. May give this a try.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gafala

I use cheese cloth for my sea salt.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Wildcat on February 24, 2019, 04:37:24 AM
Love this post. I usually just purchase my smoked salt. May give this a try.

I have to admit, I often do the "cheater's" method of making smoked salt. I add about 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke to 1 cup of Diamond Crystal kosher salt. Stir until the liquid smoke is well infuse into the salt. Spread out on a parchment lined sheet pan, and either air dry or place in a 350°F oven; until dry. Any clumps are easily broken up. You can use any salt. I just prefer Diamond Crystal for the size of the salt crystals.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Malvarez

Man, this post is awesome! So far I have been smoking mostly meats, I usually do it with Biodynamic herbs, but I figure smoking salt sounds nice as well, one of these days I will give it a try. What type of herbs are you guys using for your salt?

Habanero Smoker

Hi Malvarez;

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't tried smoking herbs, but have smoked salt, black peppercorn, and paprika.

I
         don't
                   inhale.