Goat Shoulder Smoking

Started by Ketan, April 07, 2019, 09:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketan

Going to smoke goat shoulder. I think this piece is a 5 pounder. It is a young goat raised by my buddy.
Going to smoke for 3 hours and then wrap. Had hard time finding recipe. Using a game rub. Will spritz with some juice I have every 30-60 mins. Posting here because couldn't find anything on smoking a goat shoulder.  Will update along the way and add photos if I can figure out how to do the photos.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Ketan;

Welcome to the forum.

Your post sounds interesting. Let us know how you prepared it, and smoke/roasted it. On this forum you may find some recipes if you do a search for "cabrito".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ketan

So far smoked for 3 hours. Used the cherry biscuits. Now it's wrapped in foil with few spritzes of juice.  Now 3 hours of slow cooking in the smoker. I have a 4 tray Smoker. Says Jim Beam on the door. Temp has been 220.

rnmac

Hello Ketan.
Welcome to the forum.
This sounds like a real interesting smoke you are doing.
Sure will be interesting to hear how it went.

Ketan

Okay. 3 hours smoked. 3 hours wrapped. And then 30 mins of resting. It was very tasty. I think another 1 hour of cooking would've helped. Meat was juicy and tender. I got more goat to cook and will post as I do that. I took pics. But can't figure out how to post them.

Habanero Smoker

It great when you have a successful smoke.

As far as posting pictures, I haven't done that in a while since Photobucket began charging for that. Someone will be along to explain it in more detail. You will need to find a third party site that will host your photos, then you can linked them into your posts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TMB

Yours went fast!    I smoked a hind qtr and it took almost 12 hrs total. 

Goat has a lot of silver skin in between the muscles and that takes awhile to break down, but I never wrap mine so that would have helped a lot

If anyone has never tried goat you need to good stuff.   To me the texture is like beef yet the flavor of pork (if using a young goat) old goats to me ain't worth the effort
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

watchdog56

Did either of you put bacon on the top for more juices?

Edward176

Hello Ketan and welcome to the forum. Goat shoulder sounds interesting, and yes let us know how it turns out.

TMB

Quote from: watchdog56 on April 08, 2019, 09:53:59 AM
Did either of you put bacon on the top for more juices?
I did on one of the hind qt's   It adds flavor but I removed the bacon about half way because it was keeping the temp down.    Found it better both bark and cooking time without bacon (crazy I know)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!