Newby Help!

Started by Smoky Bones, July 20, 2004, 11:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoky Bones

Hi everyone

After reading the posts here I decided on the Bradley - I had a few bumps getting started but the people at Bradley were very helpful and will be sending me a box of pucks for my trouble. (no manual, no warranty card, cracked plastic corner)

Question 1 - I did two racks of ribs and 2 racks of chicken wings on the weekend - the outdoor temp was approx 24C. My smoker would not go over 190F at any time - do I have a problem?

2) Drip tray with hole in the middle - I guess that will never be clean again eh?

3) The back plug for the infra red heater seems to be very flimsy - thought the screws were loose or stripped - It feels like the whole plug will rip out of the metal - anyone else have the same problem or is this normal?

4) Is there anything else I should do, preventative maitenance, tricks to keep lean etc that are not in the manual?(when I get one)

Thanks

Zipper

temp should get higher.  Mine will go about 250 if I crank the heater and the puck burner.  
The drip tray cleans with a little scrubbing.  Not perfect, but not like the smoer interior.  
I don't play with the plug in the back since I first plugged it in, but mne was pretty solid.
Maintenece is clean up the removable parts, and keep the area arounfd the seal and the vent clean.
Zip

Smoky Bones

Thanks Zipper

I may have to have a chat with customer service as my plug does not feel like it is attached to anything on the inside, just the metal back sheet.

Likely will have to do the same with the temperature gauge - had the heater cranked and could not register above 180 to 190 - everything cooked fine - actually had to turn it down to about 2/3 to 1/2, you could see everything was cooking just fine, just no temperature reading.

I'll try again this week before I call them, thanks for the tips

Chez Bubba

Smoky,

Not that the in-door thermometer is the greatest piece of equipment, but was it possibly touching the meat when you shut the door?

Cleaning-wise, make sure you wipe down the door seal & the face of the smoker that it contacts. V-shaped drip tray will always have some gunk on it, but cleans up pretty good in the dishwasher with the racks. Don't do other dishes & stuff though.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Smokey,

Welcome to the group.  Kirk is correct about the thermometer.  This past weekend I had two FULL racks of bisket, it covered every inch of the racks, about 22lbs worth.  The probe was in the middle if those two slabs of meat (which were cold when I put them in), it took 4hrs to get over 190, that is unusual for me.  I really do think it was were the probe was.  My next set set of thermometers will have a smoker probe.

About clean up, I don't have a dishwasher (some of us in Arkansas haven't cought up yet-we just got power two years ago)I purchased a cheap plastic storage container from WallWorld about the size of the drip tray & racks and about 8in deep.  I just fill it up with hot water and dish soap anf throw the stuff in ther as I pull them out when I am done smoking.  Let it soak and clean it when I get to it.  One last thing, you may want to unscrew the vent and wash it also, it can get a bit gummy.  Have fun....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

crockett1929

Smoky...

I had a similar problem when using an extension cord with the unit... The added electrical resistance with the extension cord prevents the element from heating up as much as it should... I found a different plug that I could use without the cord, and no problems getting over 200 degrees...

msiler

As far as the posts about the plug...

It is only mounted in the sheetmetal.

BTW Chez do you sell the plug socket for the back of the cabinet... mine got broke loose during the move.

When in doubt smoke it.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by msiler</i>
<br />BTW Chez do you sell the plug socket for the back of the cabinet... mine got broke loose during the move.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No we don't, that's not a part that Bradley offers for sale. I would try calling them & plead your case, they'll probably find you a solution.

If not, let me know & I'll see what I can do.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?