Forgot nitrates

Started by Canyontacklebox, December 04, 2019, 06:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canyontacklebox

Getting mixed answers. Just need some help. I just made a big batch of venison sausage. 60/40 venison/pork. kosher salt, spices, all mixed in. I got about 40 links stuffed and it hit me that I didn't add my nitrates to the batch. First time this has ever happened. Felt so dumb. I smoke the links in a smoke house, cold smoke, for 3 days. Let it dry for about a week. Then normally pull down and chow down. Having forgot the dang nitrates, do I need to just throw all that meat out? Or is there a way to can keep from wasting it all? 30 years of doing this and I make a rookie mistake. Thanks in advance.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Canyontacklebox;

Sorry to welcome you to the forum under these circumstances. It is unclear if you have already smoked this batch.

If you already have smoked this batch - The risk for the growth of Clostridium botulinum bacteria that produces the botulinum toxin as a waste product is too great. Unfortunately the way you cold smoked your sausage may have given the bacteria the ideal conditions to reproduce. Even if you fully cook the sausage to a temperature of 160°F, you will kill the bacteria, but will not destroy the botulinum toxin that the bacteria had already produced. I say the risk is too great, and to throw it out.

If you haven't smoked this batch, you can cook them at a higher temperature and apply some. The USDA stated it is alright to smoke sausage at a temperature of 200°F, until they reach an internal temperature of 160°.  Other highly regarded sites state that you can safely smoke/cook uncured sausage at 180°F, until they reach an internal temperature of 160°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)