Smoking in cold weather

Started by waynerto, December 13, 2020, 10:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynerto

I am smoking ribs today and it is 1C here in Toronto.  This is my first effort at smoking in colder temps.  Anything I should do differently, like setting the temp a little higher?  I have it set at 230F, which is where I normally smoke ribs, but it is taking a long time to get up to that temp.

Habanero Smoker

For you next cold weather smoke, preheat the Bradley higher than you will be cooking at, that will give you a head start on heat recovery after you load your food. Once the food is loaded you can reset the temperature to your usual cooking temperature. Some place a brick next to the water pan, during preheating, and leave it in during the full cook. It stores the heat, and help with recovery after you open and close your Bradley. Some start with hot water in the water bowl. Some have built cabinets to protect the smoker from wind. I seen some use welder's blankets, or hot water tank insulation wrap to wrap the smoker.

Other things that are helpful is to let the meat sit at room temperature for an 1 or 2 before placing it in the smoker, and if possible reduce the amount of food you are cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

waynerto

Thanks, I will keep that in mind for my next smoke, unless I am doing a cold smoke and smoking cheese!

coopergetready

QuoteThis is my first effort at smoking in colder temps.  Anything I should do differently, like setting the temp a little higher?

Hi,

Are you using a Cold Weather Jacket for your smoker? I'm looking for one and don't know anything about their reliability.

Habanero Smoker

Hi coopergetready;

Welcome to the forum.

I've never used a cold weather jacket, but several members have. Most have used a hot water heater insulation blanket, and modified it to fit the Bradley. Just make sure you don't cover the vents on the generator, and top of the smoker.

Others have build cabinets to house their smokers, or have purchased a plastic vertical storage cabinet; such as those made by Suncast or Rubbermaid.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Edward176

Hi waynerto, I've found that the wind is the biggest culprit in cooling down your smoker. It seems to act like a "venture" and sucks the smoke and heat out of the chimney very quickly and its hard to maintain temperatures. Like Hab posted I preheat my smoker, at least 1 hour, and have the temperature set higher then I intend to smoke/cook at. I let my meat sit out to warm up on the kitchen counter, and use hot water in my water bowl. I also don't over load my smoker when its cold out and use a digital thermometer with probes as much as possible to minimize opening the door to "check". Every time you open your door to check it seems to add another 15-20 minutes to the cook time.
About 3 years ago I moved my Bradley into the garage and have a 4" x 4' duct/chimney that extends from my smoker and out of my man door, there by eliminating the wind factor. I also learned to have a slight slope away from my smoker to prevent that "Black Rain" from dripping back into the smoker and spotting up the meat. Now I have a pail outside to catch the moisture/black rain, you'd be surprised how much there actually is. 

waynerto

Thanks for the feedback, although I am good now for a few months.  Not opening the door is tricky if you like to spritz your meat, which I sometimes do with apple juice.