Need Help! Smoker getting to hot and not leveling out.

Started by tbronder5, September 10, 2021, 10:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbronder5

So I was doing a big smoke a while ago. Thighs, Drums, and Venison tenderloins with bacon. Had a flare up in the cabinet and blew the thermal. Replaced the thermal and now I am trying to get some snack sticks smoked. When I turn the smoker on it heats up way past set oven temp and does not level out. I shut the oven off but it seems the element is still heating.  I am running two elements in parallel. I bought the new thermal from bradley. I am not sure what is going on.... The only thing indid was when I rehooked up the elements I did not put a spacer between the wires were they connect on the first element.

tbronder5

Quote from: tbronder5 on September 10, 2021, 10:12:58 AM
So I was doing a big smoke a while ago. Thighs, Drums, and Venison tenderloins with bacon. Had a flare up in the cabinet and blew the thermal. Replaced the thermal and now I am trying to get some snack sticks smoked. When I turn the smoker on it heats up way past set oven temp and does not level out. I shut the oven off but it seems the element is still heating.  I am running two elements in parallel. I bought the new thermal from bradley. I am not sure what is going on.... The only thing indid was when I rehooked up the elements I did not put a spacer between the wires were they connect on the first element.
Could the temp sensor burned out or went bad? I have a weber igrill hanging in the center of the cabinet and I also checked it with my Maverick

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Habanero Smoker

Not replacing the spacers would not cause the problem you are having. When you refer to the "thermal", are you referring to the high temperature sensor shutoff?.

It could be that the temperature sensor, which monitors the cabinet temperature may have been damaged during the flare up, and does not shut off when the set temperature is reached.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tbronder5

I am referring to the inline thermal shutoff. Red wire in the back.  The temperature sensor is exactly what I am thinking. Now my issue is finding a new one. I have a bradley 6 rack digital and it has the round disc looking sensor

Habanero Smoker

OK! I refer to that part as the in-line fuse.

You may want to purchase directly from Bradley. My searches show that the sensor seem to be out of stock.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

tbronder5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 11, 2021, 04:18:48 AM

You may want to purchase directly from Bradley. My searches show that the sensor seem to be out of stock.
Yeah it seems they are showing out of stock also!

tbronder5

Quote from: tbronder5 on September 11, 2021, 06:50:45 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 11, 2021, 04:18:48 AM

Yeah it seems they are showing out of stock also!

Yup, I even thought I will just upgrade to the ntc generator and sensor but they are out of the generator. Do you know why you can't just replace the old round wafer sensor with the newer one? Why do you have to replace the whole generator?

Habanero Smoker

You can replace the sensor, but Bradley's inventory sucks. They are frequently running out of replacement parts, and often they even run out of a particular model from time to time.

You should call them and send them an email to see if they can provide you a date when they expect that part to be back in stock.

If the rest of the generator works, and it feeds the bisquettes, and produces smoke with no issues - if you are thinking about purchasing a new generator, you may want to look at purchasing an Auber PID, or other temperature controller instead. That will control your heat, and do it more safely, and your cabinet temperatures will be way more accurate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

tbronder5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 12, 2021, 02:04:34 PM
You can replace the sensor, but Bradley's inventory sucks. They are frequently running out of replacement parts, and often they even run out of a particular model from time to time.

You should call them and send them an email to see if they can provide you a date when they expect that part to be back in stock.

If the rest of the generator works, and it feeds the bisquettes, and produces smoke with no issues - if you are thinking about purchasing a new generator, you may want to look at purchasing an Auber PID, or other temperature controller instead. That will control your heat, and do it more safely, and your cabinet temperatures will be way more accurate.
Yeah I have definitely thought about that. I may definitely buy one. Which one do you suggest?

Habanero Smoker

It depends on your budget, needs and what you want to do with your Bradley in the future.

The Auber PID models are more expensive, but gives you a lot of program options, and is one of the most accurate. Auber recommends either WS-1211GPH or WSD-1200GPH for the Bradley. The WSD-1200GPH is the better deal, with two probe sensors, and being on sale it is only $15 more than the other model that has one probe. If I purchased one I would get the option of the free hanging sensor. You can also use the Auber to control your slow cooker, roaster oven etc. (up to 1450 watts with the above models). They also have a wi-fi model
Auber Electric Smoker Controllers

Ink Bird makes several models that are less expensive, but they have limited features, limited programming features, and only control temperatures up to 212°F with some models up to 220°F. They do have a wi-fi model.
Ink Bird Electric Heat Controllers

There are other brands out there, if you do a search for "electric smoker heat controllers"; it may turn up other models.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

tbronder5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 13, 2021, 02:30:53 AM
It depends on your budget, needs and what you want to do with your Bradley in the future.

The Auber PID models are more expensive, but gives you a lot of program options, and is one of the most accurate. Auber recommends either WS-1211GPH or WSD-1200GPH for the Bradley. The WSD-1200GPH is the better deal, with two probe sensors, and being on sale it is only $15 more than the other model that has one probe. If I purchased one I would get the option of the free hanging sensor. You can also use the Auber to control your slow cooker, roaster oven etc. (up to 1450 watts with the above models). They also have a wi-fi model

Ink Bird makes several models that are less expensive, but they have limited features, limited programming features, and only control temperatures up to 212°F with some models up to 220°F. They do have a wi-fi model.

There are other brands out there, if you do a search for "electric smoker heat controllers"; it may turn up other models.
Inhave always looked at auber and I know they are the best. My question is if I do get the auber do I need to even replace that temp sensor?

tbronder5

Quote from: tbronder5 on September 13, 2021, 04:58:31 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 13, 2021, 02:30:53 AM

Inhave always looked at auber and I know they are the best. My question is if I do get the auber do I need to even replace that temp sensor?

Never mind silly question. I went with your recommendation Hab and ordered the dual probe. I truly appreciate your help on this. Do you you have the digital version of the Bradley? Just wondering if you let it control the smoke portion of the generator also?

Habanero Smoker

As long as your heating elements are working, the Auber by passes the temperature sensor.

I have the Old Original with a dual element mod., and the P10, so I'm not sure if the Auber can control the digital smoke generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

tbronder5

I appreciate you and all the help plus all your input and knowledge across the forum. I order the 1200 this evening!

Habanero Smoker

Great! This would seem to be better than waiting for Bradley to restock their inventory, and you will have better control of your oven temperatures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.